Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Dec 30, 2013 A week of Christmas sprinkled with General Authorities



So this week has been all sorts of crazy, fun, spiritual, frustrating, etc. The first half of the week flew by till Christmas was over, then things slowed down big time.

On Monday, it was a pretty ordinary Pday, except for after emailing, we went to Family Home Evening again with the Sosiani elders. This time we actually did have a "Bri" which is just the African term for BBQ. The meat was already purchased when we arrived, so we got right to cooking. They used some sort of Indian spice stuff to marinade it, but dang that stuff was nice! While some others were cooking the meat, my companion and I met with the District President, President Kogo. He is a wonderful man and really a great leader. The meeting went well and we came up with some solutions to handle the problems we had been facing in the Huruma Branch. If we work hand in hand together, things will totally flip around, and the area of Huruma can blossom. It was once the most fruitful area in Eldoret, but currently it’s flat-lined, not because of the area, but because of other difficulties including tired missionaries. The meat took a long time to cook, because they cook it till it’s almost dry like jerky. No such thing as a medium rare piece of meat here, and I don't know that I’d want one considering the cows, pigs, and all other animals usually have worms here. Because it was 8:00pm by the time the "bri" finished, we stayed the night at the DL's (District Leaders) flat because we were supposed to be in at curfew. Little did we know, though, that being at the DL's doesn’t count as being home safe, because we are not in our area. That night we did what usually happens when many missionaries are together...got into intense conversations about doctrines. It’s funny though, because when it comes to deep doctrine, it is entirely opinions and not scriptural fact, so we were all using scriptures to support our ideas, and disprove others. It’s fun, but when you dwell on the deep doctrines and the questions that are unknown then it’s not good.


Christmas Eve, Tuesday, we got up and left the DL's flat at 9:00am so that we could go to Zion Mall, the big mall here in Eldoret that has pretty much everything including a nice supermarket, Tusky's. We did some shopping there and then returned to Huruma where we got our haircut. It took 20 - 30min for my companion’s hair to get cut because they just shave it, and that’s all they really know how to do. Muzungus are rare and usually use the expensive haircut places. Being a missionary and not totally caring what my hair looks like, I got a haircut at the same place. However, my haircut took close to an hour and a half... why..? Well because this guy hadn't cut muzungu hair much, so he was nervous and made sure to be super careful and not just shave it like a butch cut. I had never seen someone cut the same way he did, but when it was all said and done, it wasn't too bad! I was surprised and happy it wasn't just a buzz, so I had no problem paying 100ksh. Yes I can get a haircut for less than 2USD, Karibu Kenya. We hurried back to our flat, showered.  Then went out to visit some families and give Sister Sarah and her kids the gifts we had gotten them. We were in a hurry, well at least I was, because we had been told to be at the Eldoret Chapel at 3:30pm to play a match of football with the Kitale Elders, and pick up a set of missionaries who would be staying with us for the night. We didn't arrive at the chapel till 4:45pm (Africa time is one of the things I dislike most here in Africa) and they were finishing the match of football and had all planned to go get nice food afterwards. That was a total bummer, also because we were so late, the Elders that were supposed to be coming with us decided against it thinking we were not coming, and saying it was too far. That was even more of a bummer. It’s always a blast being with other Elders overnight, but our chance was lost. We headed with all the elders (16 of us in total) to Zion mall. I needed to pick up some things there, and they were all going to get Pizza. I desired to go with them and get pizza, but I was low on funds for the month, and my companion didn’t bring his money. So much for a nice food filled Christmas Eve dinner. We got on a Matatu and headed back to Huruma. I have learned something about myself, and that is when I'm upset, not mad, but more disappointed/let down, I get quiet and think a lot, so that's what I did during the matatu ride home. I thought a lot, about Christmas, the meaning of it, what I’d write in my journal, etc. I even came up with some poems in my head. Once we got back to the flat, we both separately made some nice food, well nice food as in all I had available at the time: beans, rice, smokies (hot dogs), tomatoes, onions, etc. It wasn’t so bad, it’s my staple meal here. I eat it pretty much every night. My companion and I stayed up till 11:30 talking and listening to the 3 Christmas songs I was able to find on my flash. Also trimmed the Christmas tree, and that was pretty much it for Christmas Eve.

Christmas Day! Now that’s what I'm talking about! haha. Never have I looked forward to a Holiday so much before in my life! Sure I love Christmas and have been reflecting on the true meaning of Christmas, but this Christmas meant food made by the senior couple, the Andersons, a nice day at the couple’s home, and getting to call home. Christmas morning I was kind of in a hurry, because I wanted to be on time this time to the Sosiani Chapel where we were to be picked up and taken to the couple’s home. I wanted to get out of the flat by 10:00 because it’s an hour drive to the chapel if there’s traffic.  However, we didn’t get out till 11:20 and luckily, the Matatu got us there quickly.  We arrived at the chapel at 12:05, right when Elder Anderson, one of the senior missionaries was leaving with the first load of missionaries. The truck was full, so we had to wait till he returned. When he returned, we along with the other missionaries who had arrived jumped in and we took off. On the way to the couple’s, it was only Elder Anderson and I talking. I don’t know why, but this zone is very quiet. Africans are more quiet than Muzungus, that’s for sure. They talk a lot when with one another, but when mingled with whites, for whatever reason, they are quiet. We got to the couple’s home and Elder Anderson dropped us off and departed once more to go retrieve more elders, so we went inside. We didn’t know which door to use, so I walked up to the front door, opened it and called "Hodi" (a term used when entering to ask politely, "may I enter"). The other missionaries I was with didn’t think that was the right way, so they walked around to the back of the house. I heard "Karibu" (Welcome) so I entered the front and beat all the others inside. Sister Anderson greeted us and told us all the food preparation had been completed, so now it just needed to cook so we could go mingle in their front room. Their home was decorated with stockings/dress socks with our names on them filled with items, and some other decorations that are usually present for christmas. However, no christmas tree. They are non-existent here in Kenya, well as far as I have seen. We sat there and I talked to Elder Beacom, the ZL (Zone Leader) of the zone who came in my MTC group; however, the majority of the others were quiet, and sister Anderson walked in and said, "well you sure are the most quiet bunch of elders I've ever seen, aren’t you guys supposed to be crazy when you get together?" Then people slowly started to talk, but it was nothing like transfers in Nairobi.  That’s when it’s non-stop talking, laughing and joking. But then again it was many of us Muzungus together then. There is an unseen but felt segregation between us here. It’s not like racism or anything, it’s just a natural separation. After everyone arrived, Elder Anderson greeted us all and told us for the remainder of the day we would be his children, then asked someone to bless the food and we got started. It was Elder Simcock's (the only british elder in the mission, one of the funniest guys I've met) birthday, so he dished up after the ladies, and my companion followed him considering his birthday was the following day. There was so much food, it was so nice! Homemade rolls, turkey, gravy, potatoes, rice, a texan meat soup thing, macaroni salad, fresh fruit salad (with strawberries!) and for dessert there was brownie chocolate cake with real vanilla ice cream, and a lemon cake with ice cream. Oh dang that was a nice meal. Everyone was just piling food on their plates, and even when full you would have to go and get more, just because you wouldn't be eating like this for a long while.  After dinner and eating some cake, I went into the kitchen to see if there was anything I could help with, it was the least I could do considering the Andersons had just made this absolutely delectable meal. They told me I could wash dishes, so I washed all the dishes that were there, another Elder came in and asked if I needed help because I was all alone.  He noticed there wasn’t so much room to help at the sink, so he said he could help by talking to me. Smart kid! haha, sometimes talking to someone is all the help they need. Afterwards, we all sat down in the main room again and were joking around, laughing, and having a good time. A movie was put on for us to watch, so everyone crammed together and we watched 17 Miracles. Its been a long time since seeing it, and I had never fully appreciated it till now, it was an amazing film! Truly inspiring how it depicts the early Mormon pioneers. After the movie, it was late, so we said our departing goodbyes and thank you's and were driven to the stage (bus station) by elder Anderson. In case you were wondering, the stockings had a candy bar, a tooth brush, the matching sock, a bar of soap, and a travel size toothpaste.

Now calling home, that was nerve racking before hand. It’s strange that happens, and I suppose that probably happens with most Elders their first time calling home. I allowed my companion to call first, because the time difference is so much greater to America, and I knew that it would be okay if I called home later because more of the family would be awake and together. It was so nice to call home, however, I didn't feel as though I was calling from 12000mi away. I felt as though I was just up at college or something. The AP's had given us 200ksh ($2.32) to call with, which is equal to 40min of air time to America. The funny thing is, to call anywhere in africa its a lot more. To Uganda: 1000ksh ($12), South Africa: 720ksh ($8), Madagascar: 2000ksh ($25)...those are the costs for 40min airtime calling from Kenya. I am not totally sure why it's so cheap to America, but its cool that it is. After calling, I made sure to write down my thoughts, because after talking to family, your mind goes crazy with thoughts.


Thursday, my companion's Birthday. It was also an incredibly slow day. I suppose that's what’s expected after Christmas, but just know it felt super slow here in Kenya. We went about the morning as usual. I get up at 6:30 and study till whenever my comp decides to join me.  It ranges from 9:30 - 11:00 depending on the day. When we were planning the day, we called those we were planning to see,  but no one answered their phone. So I figured okay, we can just go and stop by anyways and see if they’re around, just like we used to do in the hills. Unfortunately, no one was home.  For lunch went and were fed by sister Jane.  She made a nice meal for us because of my comps birthday, Chapatti, rice, potato and bean supu (soup), it was really nice. I broke my record and ate 4 chapatti. Later I learned that was a horrible mistake. We talked for a while, and shared a message, then went on our way to Sister Sarah’s. When we got there, we played around with Mike and James, and then went into the house and Sister Sarah fed us a big plate of rice and beans. Both of us had a big plate. Oh my I have never been so full in my life. It was painful to eat it all, and when I said I was finished with food still remaining, she got a cane and threatened to beat me if I didn’t finish. And that is why in Africa you finish all your food. haha. We had a short little FHE (Family Home Evening) with them and then went on our way to the flat because it was close to curfew. For Christmas, we had given James and Mike hardcover Book of Mormons, some coloring pencils for marking, and for Sister Sarah, we gave her a nice set of place mats and drink mats for the table. They loved the gifts and wrap them up after each use to keep them nice.


On Friday, there wasn’t much that happened, except in planning that morning.  I did exactly what my companion wanted me to do and made all the decisions for the day. I want to turn this area around, because it used to be so fruitful back in June. It was the most booming area in the zone, with numbers doubling everyone else. I feel the way to do that though, is through reactivation of Less Actives. We met with the branch Clerk because he agreed to show us around to the LAs (Less Actives) and RCs (Recent Converts) that we didn’t know. He is an awesome guy, totally inspired and inspirational in his speaking. He taught us many valuable lessons as we sat there talking. That night he came with us and we visited a former Branch President who had become less active. He is a wonderful guy, has an awesome family.  I feel he just needs to have some love from the branch.


Saturday, another debate in companionship study, this time about faith. We were discussing a LA who watches over his mother everyday of the week and doesn’t come to church because of it.  In regards on how to help him come to church, I said we should build his faith so that he can leave his mother and attend church, and trust that God will take care of his mother in the mean time. I believe faith can do anything, but it must be God’s will not my will. Such as moving a mountain.  (Apparently all Muzungus are the same and think and judge too quick and always think we're right.) We visited some more RC/LAs, and while visiting the wife of an LA, I felt prompted to give her the Book of Mormon I have been carrying in my bag the last two weeks. She agreed to read it, and was happy to have it. Later when we were walking home, my companion told me that never has she wanted anything to do with the church before, and wouldn’t even want to be around us. It goes to show, the spirit works in miraculous ways.


Sunday, now yesterday, was the most spiritual Sunday that I have had on mission so far. We got to church at 9:00 for PEC (Priesthood Executive Committee Meeting), and there was a young man, probably my age sitting in the corner of the last row. I shook his hand and at first didn’t think much of it and went to PEC. After PEC, I came out and started greeting everyone and felt the need to greet the young man again, but this time a full introduction. I did so, and learned his name is Isaac, and he is new and this was his first time at church. I found this interesting and a bit odd because he wasn't with anyone and he isn’t one of our investigators. I sat down near him and continued to wonder about who he was. As I sat there a row behind my companion before sacrament began, my comp turns back and asks "is that Sitati?" huh? "is that Sitati?" he was speaking about someone who had just driven up in a car outside. As the man walked inside, we discovered that yes it is Elder Joseph W. Sitati of the 1st quorum of the 70.  A General Authority randomly visiting the tiny Huruma branch. Now that is awesome!! I immediately stood up to greet him and he went and sat on the stand. During Sacrament, the spirit was strong, and I couldn’t stop thinking that there was a General Authority present. For the talks, he and his wife both gave a talk. He talked about such a simple doctrine that we have all known very well, the sacrament. And wow I learned a lot as he talked about it. He gave it a different twist about how if we always remember Christ, and keep his commandments, we will always have his spirit to be with us. He explained the power of the Spirit and what it can help us do. It was like general conference in Sacrament meeting. A total privilege. We had some LA's that we had visited present, and it must have been a great experience for them. After Sacrament, I thanked Elder Sitati, and he went on his way to Nairobi then to Salt Lake City. The next two hours we had been assigned to watch the Work of Salvation and help the branch learn and apply its teachings. I was chosen to conduct, and tried to do so by the Spirit. We would watch a short segment, pause and explain, then continue, and pause again and explain. I was so thankful for the participation, and it was awesome to have participation from the Less Actives and Isaac, who had just come today. That was probably one of the most spiritual meetings I have had on mission.  (Click here to read more about Elder Sitati and church growth in Africa.)


Now in regards to Isaac...

Meet Isaac:
Isaac is a 19 year old kid who grew up as a street kid, with no father, and no family available to help raise him. He grew up in a childrens home, but was regularly elsewhere. He loves to travel, and at the young age of 5, would travel all around Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania by climbing into the big bags to be loaded on buses and stay in the luggage compartment until it stopped. He grew up being trained in theft, and as he went place to place, knew how to survive on pretty much nothing. Any food fit for food, shoe glue to get himself high so he wouldn't be cold, and shelter was wherever he felt like sleeping. This was the case for many years, and he got himself into some rough stuff. At the age of 14, he got married to a street girl, and after that had a troublesome ending, left that. He always sought to change though, and slowly got himself cleaned up, started to live with his younger brother, and got a job carrying heavy bags that normal people were unable to carry. One day, he met the missionaries, they taught him for 3 weeks, and during that time, he said he felt something good, saw that there was a light in this dark life he'd been living. Sadly, after 3 weeks, the missionaries were removed from the area due to a whitewash. So there went his friends and connection to the church, so he left as well. He shared the Book of Mormon and pamphlets he had received with his brother and his brother convinced him that they were books of the devil and all they would bring was calamity. So he left them and forgot about them. Then his life went down hill, all he had that was good was gone, his mother and sister died, his brother moved to Nairobi, he lost his job, and his whole life was upside down. So what was his thought to do, well why live in such a dark world where there is no happiness? so he tried to kill himself, he drank poisons to do the trick, but when that didn’t work, he tried a harder one. When he was still alive, he tried "dip" a bug killer that immediately dries out bugs on livestock. He said he was lying there unconcious coughing up blood, but still he was not dead. God was looking out for Isaac. Although Satan wanted him dead, God’s power is greater, so this Sunday, he called a friend who said he could help him and the friend lives in Huruma. He walked 2 hours to get there, just to find out his friend was in his rural home hours away. Frustrated and alone, his thoughts went back to removing himself from this life. This time he went to the dam and figured well this must do it. As he sat there thinking, he saw a man walk by, and the man was holding a Book of Mormon.  He saw the title and thoughts of happiness and the good times came back and influenced him not to jump, but another force said jump, ignore that book and jump. He decided not to jump, and as he was walking on a road to town, he saw the sign to the church. A place he had come to one time 3 years ago. He stood there for 20 minutes wondering if he could build up his courage to come in. He took one step at a time, but finally came in and was greeted by a man with a big smile (I’d assume the watchman) and welcomed. He then knew and felt he was home.

I have never met someone before like isaac, especially not with a story like that, and that’s not even all the details. He bore testimony to the congregation about his experience and this church. I was brought to tears and felt such love for this young man. It was truly an inspiring experience, we are currently working with Isaac and have given him a Book of Mormon and the Pamphlets he once had.


It just goes to show, in a world of darkness, confusion, and chaos, there is a light.  We just have to grab hold of it. God truly loves his children each individually. I know that with a certainty. No matter your situation, there is someone who loves you dearly.  I love you all and leave you with my testimony of what I have written, in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.


Elder Rushton Jay Hiltbrand

No comments:

Post a Comment