So this week has been a busy, yet exhausting one for sure. And it’s the beginning of a full new year, this will be a full year for me on mission. It’s pretty crazy to think that. So if today isn’t as detailed and filled with lots as usual, then it is because I am in a hurry because I don’t have much time.
So last Monday, Pday, I emailed, but then the best thing was I bought the needed ingredients to make Chinese food! Heck yeah! Now because I am on a missionary budget, I figured I’d have to improvise, so I bought chicken necks for meat because they’re way cheap and taste nice if made right. That night I attempted to make Chinese food which was okay, but I feel it can be much better. If anyone knows any simple chinese food recipes, I would love to have them, because Chinese food is by far my favorite food.
On Tuesday, it was New Year’s eve, we had a good teaching day. Edwin, one of our investigators, shared with us that we were an answer to his prayers in meeting with him that day. He really is good at recognizing his answers to prayers. It’s truly inspiring and helps me to know that God really does answer prayers. Edwin was supposed to be baptized this week, but due to issues with dowry we have postponed it until March so that things can work their way out and the dowry can be settled. I am so glad a dowry doesn’t exist in America. Well I guess a diamond ring could qualify as a sort of less expensive dowry. Now because it was New Year’s eve, we had to keep the tradition and stay up until midnight to welcome in the new year. New Year’s in Kenya is crazy. First off they celebrate for 3 - 4 nights, and on the night of New Year’s eve they burn tires and roll a siren which is literally the siren that was used in World War 2 to signify a bombing raid. I feel there are going to be bombs or something drop from the sky every time I hear it. They also do the usual screaming and stuff at 12:00am. Now here the people drink so much alcohol. They drink the day of, the day before, and the day after, just to make sure they got their fill in, so there are many drunks walking around.
On Wednesday, Happy New Year everyone by the way, it was New Year’s. While walking around proselyting, there were remnants of burned tires everywhere, just big black dusty spots with a ton of wiring spread around. Each time a car or picky picky drives by, it throws that dust into the air causing an awful smell of black rubber, and you have to cover your mouth to keep from inhaling it. We had our DDM (District Development Meeting) and the training was taught by Elder Barasa, a 26yr old from Uganda. The senior couple was in Nairobi, so it was just us missionaries for DDM. It was really a nice DDM and we spoke about our power and authority as missionaries. Eventually the conversation went into the difference between called and chosen, so we got into a scriptural battle about it. It’s kinda like a rap battle, but instead of rapping, your using scriptures against one another. After DDM, we continued to Bakers Point, a restaurant that sells really nice pizza. We were all super stoked to go, but when we arrived, we found they were closed for the New Year. We then thought well let’s go try the Chinese food place, because the Chinese New Year is not until another month, but we ended up going to the Garden restaurant that we went to last time. After we returned to our area, we were waiting for a potential investigator to arrive whom we had planned to see at the stage (bus station), but after an hour and a half, she never showed up. Luckily we were able to have some awesome contacts with some people who walked up to us asking what we were selling. Instead, we told them we weren't selling anything, but instead giving away a message that has the potential to change their lives.
On Thursday, we did service for a member in our area, Sister Jane. She wanted us to dig her a new shamba (garden) in a plot of land that was overgrown with grass and had never been dug before. We went as a zone, and I happened to forget my work gloves, so that was a bummer kabisa! (Kabisa is emphasis) I got some major blisters, but no pain no gain right? While working, it turned out to be a natural separation between the muzungus and black africans, I don’t know why that always happens, but it just naturally takes place. As we were walking through the streets with our jembes "hoes" everyone was pointing and laughing that muzungus had working tools. Once again whites don’t work is the popular belief. It was funny, while digging, you could totally tell who had served in Kambaland, because we know how to dig. Elder Turner and I dominated the digging because of our past experience with digging in ukambani. That night we taught our neighbors who are very wealthy. The nicest thing I found was their couch, it was so comfy! The normal couches here are hard or you just sit on wood with a half inch cushion.
Friday my comp and I had a very long companionship inventory to figure out how to solve all the problems that we were facing, mainly with obedience. We resolved things in the end. I chose to just remain quiet, so that bigger problems didn’t evolve. One of the things I learned on Friday or saw in practice is that as my scriptural knowledge increases, so does my teaching ability, so I study a lot and thoroughly enjoy it. We had a late FHE with sister Sarah’s family and she didn’t start cooking till 7:15, so we got home way late. I really need to put my foot down lovingly so that she understands we need to be home. She knows it, just chooses not to follow it.
Saturday, I really learned the importance of reactivation of less active members. We had a large gap in our plan for the day, so we decided to fill it with visiting less actives. 160 of the 190 in the branch, so we have a lot of reactivation to do. I learned that the less actives just need a friend. They are looking for the love and friendship they felt when first introduced to the gospel. When calling them to see if we could meet with them, they were so excited to hear from us! I’ve never heard people so excited before to talk to the missionaries. We were able to meet with one of them, but to get to his place, the matatu drivers were totally confused and started fighting with one another... road rage haha. It was a nice visit with a man named Nelson, who hasn’t been to church since he was baptized a year ago.
On Tuesday, it was New Year’s eve, we had a good teaching day. Edwin, one of our investigators, shared with us that we were an answer to his prayers in meeting with him that day. He really is good at recognizing his answers to prayers. It’s truly inspiring and helps me to know that God really does answer prayers. Edwin was supposed to be baptized this week, but due to issues with dowry we have postponed it until March so that things can work their way out and the dowry can be settled. I am so glad a dowry doesn’t exist in America. Well I guess a diamond ring could qualify as a sort of less expensive dowry. Now because it was New Year’s eve, we had to keep the tradition and stay up until midnight to welcome in the new year. New Year’s in Kenya is crazy. First off they celebrate for 3 - 4 nights, and on the night of New Year’s eve they burn tires and roll a siren which is literally the siren that was used in World War 2 to signify a bombing raid. I feel there are going to be bombs or something drop from the sky every time I hear it. They also do the usual screaming and stuff at 12:00am. Now here the people drink so much alcohol. They drink the day of, the day before, and the day after, just to make sure they got their fill in, so there are many drunks walking around.
On Wednesday, Happy New Year everyone by the way, it was New Year’s. While walking around proselyting, there were remnants of burned tires everywhere, just big black dusty spots with a ton of wiring spread around. Each time a car or picky picky drives by, it throws that dust into the air causing an awful smell of black rubber, and you have to cover your mouth to keep from inhaling it. We had our DDM (District Development Meeting) and the training was taught by Elder Barasa, a 26yr old from Uganda. The senior couple was in Nairobi, so it was just us missionaries for DDM. It was really a nice DDM and we spoke about our power and authority as missionaries. Eventually the conversation went into the difference between called and chosen, so we got into a scriptural battle about it. It’s kinda like a rap battle, but instead of rapping, your using scriptures against one another. After DDM, we continued to Bakers Point, a restaurant that sells really nice pizza. We were all super stoked to go, but when we arrived, we found they were closed for the New Year. We then thought well let’s go try the Chinese food place, because the Chinese New Year is not until another month, but we ended up going to the Garden restaurant that we went to last time. After we returned to our area, we were waiting for a potential investigator to arrive whom we had planned to see at the stage (bus station), but after an hour and a half, she never showed up. Luckily we were able to have some awesome contacts with some people who walked up to us asking what we were selling. Instead, we told them we weren't selling anything, but instead giving away a message that has the potential to change their lives.
On Thursday, we did service for a member in our area, Sister Jane. She wanted us to dig her a new shamba (garden) in a plot of land that was overgrown with grass and had never been dug before. We went as a zone, and I happened to forget my work gloves, so that was a bummer kabisa! (Kabisa is emphasis) I got some major blisters, but no pain no gain right? While working, it turned out to be a natural separation between the muzungus and black africans, I don’t know why that always happens, but it just naturally takes place. As we were walking through the streets with our jembes "hoes" everyone was pointing and laughing that muzungus had working tools. Once again whites don’t work is the popular belief. It was funny, while digging, you could totally tell who had served in Kambaland, because we know how to dig. Elder Turner and I dominated the digging because of our past experience with digging in ukambani. That night we taught our neighbors who are very wealthy. The nicest thing I found was their couch, it was so comfy! The normal couches here are hard or you just sit on wood with a half inch cushion.
Friday my comp and I had a very long companionship inventory to figure out how to solve all the problems that we were facing, mainly with obedience. We resolved things in the end. I chose to just remain quiet, so that bigger problems didn’t evolve. One of the things I learned on Friday or saw in practice is that as my scriptural knowledge increases, so does my teaching ability, so I study a lot and thoroughly enjoy it. We had a late FHE with sister Sarah’s family and she didn’t start cooking till 7:15, so we got home way late. I really need to put my foot down lovingly so that she understands we need to be home. She knows it, just chooses not to follow it.
Saturday, I really learned the importance of reactivation of less active members. We had a large gap in our plan for the day, so we decided to fill it with visiting less actives. 160 of the 190 in the branch, so we have a lot of reactivation to do. I learned that the less actives just need a friend. They are looking for the love and friendship they felt when first introduced to the gospel. When calling them to see if we could meet with them, they were so excited to hear from us! I’ve never heard people so excited before to talk to the missionaries. We were able to meet with one of them, but to get to his place, the matatu drivers were totally confused and started fighting with one another... road rage haha. It was a nice visit with a man named Nelson, who hasn’t been to church since he was baptized a year ago.
So we learned something else about Huruma (the city Rushton lives in). The government rations the water and it comes 3 times per week at night. Who wants to stay up at night to get water? No one, but those who are desperate do so. When we had gotten home for the night, the landlord knocked on the door and explained to us that he wants to move us to the top floor where it’s quieter, and newly renovated. He wants to renovate our flat, so we agreed we would talk to the mission headquarters and see if we can change. The new flat is identical except super clean and totally repaired. So yes, I am already moving! haha you probably thought I was being transferred!
Sunday was great, because I received two packages from the senior couple (when they returned from Nairobi). One, a new camera bought from another missionary, (a nice camera makes a world of difference on a mission! and having two, I can lend one to someone who doesn’t have one as long as he has his own SD card) also a much awaited package sent in October from the family. The mail is wack here, things take forever sometimes for no reason. The senior couple came to church with us and were able to witness the blessings of our efforts with less actives. We had 7 less actives at church! it was awesome!
So today, Pday, we went to one of the most beautiful waterfalls I’ve ever seen, but I need more time to describe it, so you will hear about it next week.
I love you all, and remind you to feel free to write me an email, I love hearing from you. (Even if you don’t know Rushton personally, but enjoy reading his blog! He finds notes and emails very uplifting and encouraging. His email is rushton.hiltbrand@myldsmail.net )
Love, Elder Rushton Jay Hiltbrand
Sunday was great, because I received two packages from the senior couple (when they returned from Nairobi). One, a new camera bought from another missionary, (a nice camera makes a world of difference on a mission! and having two, I can lend one to someone who doesn’t have one as long as he has his own SD card) also a much awaited package sent in October from the family. The mail is wack here, things take forever sometimes for no reason. The senior couple came to church with us and were able to witness the blessings of our efforts with less actives. We had 7 less actives at church! it was awesome!
So today, Pday, we went to one of the most beautiful waterfalls I’ve ever seen, but I need more time to describe it, so you will hear about it next week.
I love you all, and remind you to feel free to write me an email, I love hearing from you. (Even if you don’t know Rushton personally, but enjoy reading his blog! He finds notes and emails very uplifting and encouraging. His email is rushton.hiltbrand@myldsmail.net )
Love, Elder Rushton Jay Hiltbrand
No comments:
Post a Comment