So this weeks letter will be much shorter, because we had interviews in Nairobi today with the Mission President, so we didn't get out into the town till 4:00pm, and then ate until 5:30pm. We have been saving up money this month with the Kilili elders so that we could eat really well in Nairobi, so that's what we're doing, good food, good fun, and tomorrow should be an awesome Zone conference.
So this week, on Tuesday, we had our Pday with the Kilili elders and after emailing we went down the strip and went to my jacket salesman, his name is Peter (I told him I would include his name in my letter home). His dream is to go to America someday, and he works by selling jackets, shirts, and sweats that are second hand from America for 30ksh ($.30). He is probably my favorite salesman on the strip. He knows me and knows what I like to buy. I bought this way cool jacket called "parka in a pocket". It's super nifty, but I don't think it's waterproof. I convinced the Kilili elders to buy super bright rain coats with me. We kinda look like power rangers when we wear them, and my jacket turns out to be a jack 'a bag. All these cool nifty bags and stuff.
Wednesday was ZTM (Zone Training Meeting) The training was given by Elder Ita. He taught about love, unity, and change, the things that the president had requested be discussed. It was a way good training. He used the personality chart of colors, would say I am definitely a red and blue, leadership/ take control of situations, (weakness of red is pride) and blue follows my heart/ listens to emotions, (weakness emotional hurt). Look up Dr. Hartman personality colors online. I think he has a test that will tell you your own. They're cool to know. Elder Ita used a powerful quote about change, "You be the change you want to see." This was a humbling quote to hear, and really made me think about myself and how I need to remove my pride and seek to humble myself and do as the Lord wishes me to do with the companionship, not do what I see is best, but what He does. After ZTM, Elder Ita and I went together to brother KK's where we were supposed to pick up 4 rabbits to take home and eat for dinner. He wasn't home, so I decided we could go and see if the Maks could get us some because they sold us theirs last time. They only had one, but the mzee (grandfather?) told me to give him 30 min and he could have 4. We waited for 30 minutes and low and behold he came back with 3 massive rabbits! huge!! We purchased the 4 of them for 1050ksh ($12) and shoved them in a bag they gave us and headed home. It started pouring on the way back, entirely soaking us! I wore my parka, but that thing proved to not be waterproof at all... but hey it makes me look like Sherlock Holmes so I guess I get style points for that! When we got home, we were wet head to toe, our shoes filled with water. The hills turn into waterfalls everywhere, craziness!! It's a really cool sight though if you're not getting soaked.. It was only Ita and I that got soaked, we are always the ones doing the dirty work. Haha. After changing into dry clothes, we got to killing the rabbits. I was the one who skinned them. We let them sit 10 min before skinning and then it was super easy. Elder Ita and I then cleaned them and Elder Nyirenda and Elder Utonga cooked them. It was a nice night, good food, tons of laughter, and the stress relief I needed.
Thursday (because all mine and Elder Ita's stuff was still soaked), they had to stay another day to allow it to dry, so we went on exchanges with the Kilili elders. As usual, Elder Ita and I went together and I decided to take him to one of the most beautiful areas called New Zion. Due to our shoes being soaked, we wore our kamba sandals. They are thick, super comfortable foam sandles that everyone wears here in ukambani. It was so nice to wear those, you feel much more relaxed in them, and the people accept you more, plus they grip like my monkey shoes! In New Zion, it was so incredible, the rain had caused it to be very green and there were beautiful brown waterfalls. We have one member there and one investigator, so we tried to see them. they weren't home, so instead of waiting at their home, we went down to the waterfalls. It was so fun, we took tons of pictures! I would send them today, but I don't have my camera with me. Whenever Elder Ita and I are together. we manage to have a fun time, while still working hard. We just find ways to laugh and joke even when working. That's how you grow to love the work. At the waterfall, we decided to drink straight from it. It wasn't bad, tasted slightly muddy, but still a cool experience. The rest of the day we taught in Matua, and then when we got home, I made a huge pot of muthokoi (red beans, maize, onions and tomatoes) one of the kamba dishes that I really enjoy. It was soo much food! Elder Ita is a big guy, but his eyes still manage to be bigger than his stomach. I do, however, love left overs, it's a nice food to eat as leftovers. Elder Ita and I were up till 1:00am talking and laughing after everyone had gone to bed, that's the case every night at ZTM and zone conference.
Friday was a super lame day because it was a Relief Society activity and that took most the day. After which we walked to Kyambeke. The whole way down, Elder U and I were talking to each other! Miracle I know! It was good though. We talked a ton about Tanzania and I just let him talk about himself to help him open up. Things are improving as I try to show more love for him. Killing him with kindness..
Saturday and Sunday, we did baptismal interviews. Those are super exhausting because the people know no english, and they don't know any of their information regarding birthdates and such. It just goes to show how important education is. I love them, but I wish they were educated more. On Sunday, we took a matatu (shuttle van) to mitini for 50ksh ($.60) then Elder B says " I forgot we were staying in Kalongo tonight, so all my stuff is in kyambeke... so we must go back". I told him he could just wear the clothes on his back for the next 4 days, Elder J went back to Kyambeke by foot with him, and because there was no more matatus, they had to walk to Kalongo, a total of 20+ kilometers.(12 miles).
Monday, today, we are in Nairobi. My interview with president Hicken went well and we discussed a lot about pride and how it is the greatest sin. I admit I need to let go of my pride and just love Elder U for who he is. I do love him, he just gives the silent treatment. I love President Hicken, he is truly inspired, and always knows what to say.
Well sorry it's so short this week,
Love always,
Elder Hiltbrand
No comments:
Post a Comment