Thursday, December 26, 2013

Dec 23, 2013 The week before Christmas...


Merry Christmas to everyone and a happy new year from Kenya! 
So this has been a very fast week, the days are busy here, so it makes the time fly by.  It’s craziness, especially before Christmas.  It consists of a bunch of planning of Christmas parties, arranging Christmas festivities and everything. The interesting thing; however. is that besides the church, no one really celebrates Christmas.  There is no Christmas spirit here and no decorations. Also, we just received an email from the Mission President and Area Presidency regarding the necessity to be careful during the Christmas season, because there are many terrorist attacks at this time predominately by muslims. They really only caution Nairobi and Mombasa, so I'm safe over here in Eldoret.

Oh and before I tell you about the week, a funny thing about the people here in Eldoret, is that they stare at Muzungus (white people), this was the case in Ukambani as well, but here it’s straight up obvious and they keep staring at me even if I look over at them...I’m like an alien or something of the sort here.

So on Tuesday, I was on splits/exchanges with Elder Barasa from Sosiani Branch in Eldoret. He is the companion of Elder Turner (the Elder who was transferred to Eldoret with Rushton), and came out at the same time as my son (Rushton’s trainee, Elder Janda). He had arranged the day for us to go and do service for a less active lady. We met up with three RMs (return missionaries) and the Branch President at the church waiting for others to arrive. We all got into intense discussions about church doctrine and such. Elder Barasa likes to get really loud and argumentative in a light way, but he is very stubborn on his points, so it was really funny. We talked doctrine using scriptures and such for 3 hours as we waited, and as we walked to the lady’s home whom lives on the opposite side of the town.  For service, we were to reroof the home of this member. She lives in a small 8x10ft shanty made of sheet metal. The most shocking thing was, was that she’s not the only one that lives in that small box, 11 others do as well, and they all sleep on the ground which fills with about 1 - 2" of water each night that it rains.  Super sad to see people living in such circumstances. God sure does love and protect his children because none of those living there were noticeably sick from what we could tell. I know that if I spent one night in those circumstances, I would get sick and die before morning. The service project went well and we entirely redid the roof, and I and another RM had the idea to put the new roof with a slant, so that the water can run off rather than pile up on top as it had been. The people were so grateful of the service we did for them.  It really should brighten their Christmas season. While doing the service, we were in a race against the rain, because there were large clouds forming in the distance, almost immediately after finishing and departing it started raining heavily. That was truly a miracle from God. Afterwards we went to a nice hotel (restaurant) in the low part of town, where we all got nice food. I eat a lot more Sukuma (kale with tomatoes) and Ugali (white corn meal mush) here, and I have learned to enjoy it instead of dread it as I used to, but still not something I will ever make upon returning home.

On Wednesday, we had DDM (District Development Meeting), we got there early because Elder Barasa was having a piano lesson with Sister Anderson, one of the senior couple missionaries, an hour before DDM. Her husband Elder Anderson and I were able to talk for that time. They have been out a little less than I, and he loves to talk about all sorts of stuff, especially volleyball.  I told him I was a volleyball player in high school and now that’s all he talks about when he sees me haha "here’s the volleyball player! We'll have to set up a net and play sometime." Super nice couple.  They are from Rigby Idaho area and moved to Wyoming 30 years ago or so. DDM was totally different than in Kilungu. It was similar in some ways regarding the program and such, but the spirit was so much stronger and there was a lot of participation. We were talking about diligence with members and we discussed how there is a problem with tribalism in some parts here. Eldoret is a mix of almost all tribes, so the tribes that don’t get along are evident here. I felt prompted to Bring up 4 Nephi 1:17, and explain that we as missionaries cannot look at anyone for their tribe, or sins, but instead see them for who they really are as children of God. It’s a perfect scripture for dealing with people here, one of my favorites in fact. After DDM, the whole zone except for the senior couple went and got food at a nice little restaurant in town. The food was great, and of course it came with french fries "chips". I feel I am gaining weight because we get fed so much, and usually its not the healthiest stuff like chips or Ugali. Neither very healthy, just a lot of calories or "energy".  (Rushton explained on the phone to us, that although most Kenyans are fairly poor, he has not seen many starving people like he thought there would be.  In fact, many deal with obesity and diabetes from eating a high fat diet.) After eating we went to Tusky's, the grocery store here, I spent 2000ksh ($23) on food, being in a city is going to make me broke. I did, however, buy in bulk, so I should be good for a while. We went to the church after getting back to Huruma to plan for the Christmas party on Saturday. This was the first planning meeting for the event, so we really had to step it up as missionaries. The 8 of us present practiced singing two songs for the christmas party, but besides that, not much was done. "there’s no hurry in africa."

Thursday was another service day.  I guess on Thursdays we go as a zone to go do service. Usually at the Hospital with the kids with special needs, unless there is another service project needing done in one of the branches. This was the case this Thursday, so we went as a zone including the senior couple to a less active member in Sosiani Branch. We piled 6 of us missionaries in the most inefficient way into the back seat of the couple’s truck. That was a funny car ride.  We couldn’t ride in the back bed till the dirt road, so we crammed in there like a can of sardines. I love the guys in my zone, they are really funny and they can have fun when appropriate. For service, we were building a shower or bathing area for a member living about 30 min by car from the church. No wonder she is less active, that’s far, plus she is mainly blind due to cross eyedness.That is incredibly common here, and it causes blindness in those that have it. The service went well, I got to use my boy scout lashing skills, so that was fun. Being an eagle scout here in Africa really helps with many things. Everything is jimmy rigged here, and that’s what scouts are best at. We were wearing our p-day casual clothes to do service, and that was seriously the strangest feeling, I haven’t done that in 6 months. (In Kilungu, we wore our missionary attire.) After service, we were given huge stalks of sugar cane, but because I don’t really like it and it's a pain to eat, I gave it to a member at the Sosiani branch. He sure appreciated that. After we got back to Huruma, we went and taught our investigator Sister Rhoda. She gave us cocoa as usual. They have the funniest philosophy of Hot weather + Hot drink = Cold body.  I don't think I can agree with that one.  Afterwards we went and saw a new investigator who we have seen a few times. She is a college student and her friends are usually present with her. She's fun to teach, but then they started getting flirty.  I thought "umm no...do what Joseph of Isreal did." Haha.  I explained to them that missionaries cannot flirt like that, and they should not be flirting with the missionaries.  All the girls here always tell me to come back from America and take them there. Not going to happen. We were late for curfew  again, something I highly dislike. 

On Friday, we had our weekly planning and companionship inventory, everything was good. I mentioned that it is my wish and desire that we make it home at 8:00 pm each night which is curfew in the Kenya Nairobi Mission. I feel we have divine protection until that point, and we may have it after, but I don’t like taking chances like that. Especially when we are surrounded by people  I can’t see at night.  Plus the crime rate here is quite high. The epicenter of 2007 election violence. We agreed after much discussion and came to the conclusion to have our last appointment at 5:30, 6:00 at the latest. This is because they love to keep us super long. The rest of the day we had a rehearsal for the Christmas party and we went and taught Rhoda again because she was set to be interviewed for baptism Saturday. She made us lunch. It was really nice, but we ended up being there 4 hours in all with the teaching, eating, and her cooking the food. Afterwards, we returned to the church and found them watching “The Expendables”.  Not an appropriate movie for members and especially missionaries.  I explained how it’s not good to be watching that in the church, a place where we come to worship. I wouldn’t watch, so we left and headed to the shops to get some stuff before returning home.

Saturday the Christmas Party! The Christmas party was to begin at 9:00 am, but that’s not the case in Kenya...that’s only the case with muzungus. (They say we are very strict with time.) Fifteen minutes before we left to go to the church, we were told to create a program so people could have fun and enjoy it and feel the spirit. Yep thats Africa for you, last minute notices and such. We quickly developed a program and headed to the church. Very few people were there, so we started helping cook the rice and chapatti. I am learning more and more on how to cook chapatti. We had a lot of fun joking around with the members and RMs in the branch while cooking. We started the program at 1:00 pm because people were still showing up. We had pretty good attendance, and the program went well.  It consisted mainly of singing and such, but it was good. The food wasn’t done when the program was, so they turned on the movie Johnny Lingo for the branch. The people liked it, and the food was great. Overall a nice activity. Afterwards the DLs (District Leaders) arrived and we went to interview Sister Rhoda for baptism. She passed and was very excited. When we returned to the chapel, they were again watching “The Expendables”, but this time in the chapel. Definitely not okay.   I told them how that’s not appropriate considering we will be having Sacrament there the next day, but the RM who’s movie it was just told me "it’s a rented chapel".  There is no respect to the church buildings here.

Sunday was church as usual, we got to the church at 8:55 am to have PEC at 9:00 but it ended up starting at 9:30.  There is little efficiency in keeping time here, its a cultural thing. The third hour lesson was good.  It’s interesting here, because they don’t stop the lesson at 1:00 when church is over, but instead end it whenever they want. The people don’t mind and keep participating. They love to talk here, so that’s a big plus. Lots of participation is better than no participation. After church, we all got on a private Matatu (van) and headed to the Eldoret chapel to have Sister Rhoda's baptism. All went well except the ordinance had to be done 4 times because she and her husband, who was baptizing her, were super nervous, and Kenyans are terrified of being submerged in water, so that was interesting. (When you are baptized you must be totally immersed head to toe or it must be redone.) Everything worked out though and she was baptized. My first convert here in Huruma. Afterward, we all got back into the Matatu and I joked with everyone by acting like the conductor the whole ride back. We got back and headed back to our flat because we were super hungry, and when we arrived, we found it flooded with 2 inches of water.  The water comes 2 days per week here and we had left the tap on waiting for water and I guess it came on and the sink was clogged, so it flooded everything. We spent the remainder of the day sweeping and mopping up all the water...really not a fun thing. (Rushton explained to us that the city water only flows 2 days a week and they never know what days it will be, so when they are cooking in the morning, he will turn the faucet on so they will know when the water starts flowing.  This day he forgot to turn it off before they left for church and it turned out to be one of the 2 days that the water was turned on.)
So that was pretty much it for the week, this next week should be exciting with Christmas and such. My first Christmas away from home, friends and family. It is allowing me to learn the true meaning of Christmas.

As said in the book of Matthew 1:23, "Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us." This to me is my Christmas message. Christ was born in Bethlehem to a Virgin Mother. He shall be called forever Emmanuel or God with us. Christ is God’s way of always being with us. Before Christ was born into the world, the world was a place of darkness, confusion and chaos. When He came to the earth, He brought peace, truth and light with Him. Imagine our world today if we did not have the knowledge of Christ.  We are in a world of confusion, chaos, turmoil, and darkness, but we need not fear, for Jesus Christ is the light at the end of the tunnel.
I wish you all a merry Christmas! May your joy be full as you rejoice in the birth of our savior.
Love always,  Elder Rushton Jay Hiltbrand

No comments:

Post a Comment