Sunday, February 15, 2015

Feb 14 First Week in the Office

So Hello there Everyone, 

Just a reminder, I'll write and read emails on Saturdays now, so heads up to  all you who write on Sunday night/ Monday! haha

This week has been a quick week, it's been a full week with no transfers or anything.  I met the ward we proselyte in on Sunday, they are awesome. It's so different being in a ward than a Branch. It's really quite interesting. There isn't as much reliance on the missionaries for stuff besides missionary work, and everything just runs by itself, sure there are problems here and there, but it's nice none the less. We have many Returned Missionaries in the Ward and they are really powerful, really wanting to help and trying to fulfill their callings. So I look forward to working with the Members here in the ward.

We had an office Day on Monday. We are planning for the upcoming Conferences and such so that they can be directed to the needs of the mission and really inspire the Missionaries. It's really cool working close to President Hicken.  He is a great teacher and is always teaching Principles to us that will benefit us not for just now, but for Post Mission Life, and also the Eternities.  He doesn't want just great missionaries, but he also wants us to become great Men, Fathers and Husbands. 

Tuesday and Wednesday are our proselyting days and we had some really good lessons, and contacts. We were able to get about 30 contacts each day which is really good especially for the little time we have to contact. My favorite way to contact being so close to a church building is to take the person on a tour of the church.  It helps that person in many ways -- They can feel the spirit within the building, It removes assumptions or rumors they have heard, and it also helps them feel comfortable with coming to church. All those whom we have taken on Tours, we have been able to get return appointments with! One of which was a young man named Robinson, smart guy, just finished High School and is waiting for his testing results to go to University. I showed him around the building and he asked really good questions, and committed to meet with us Friday and come to church. 

Wednesday we had DDM, my first in this District. It's really interesting how the information goes full circle, we relay a message to the Zone Leaders who then give it to the District Leaders and then the District Leader announces it in DDM, so we hear it there. Kind of a cool perspective. 

Thursday was another Office Day, so we were trying to get all the work done and send out emails to the mission regarding preparation for the upcoming Conferences. While in DDM my companion was teaching on the Book of Mormon and I had the thought of a practical application of the Book of Mormon and Missionary Work, I came up with this "The Book of Mormon- The Multi-Tool to Missionary Work" With a picture of a Multi-Tool/Leatherman.  I thought it was pretty cool, because the Book of Mormon truly can be used for everything in Missionary work, from Converting to Reactivating, it's got it all. I'm a bit nervous to train at Zone Conference, but I know that with much preparation and faith, it will be okay. 

Friday we had our Weekly planning, which is the same for the whole mission. Every companionship is to do their weekly planning on Friday. Then we raced over to Zimmerman and taught Robinson and a man named Peter whom we had also contacted on the road and did our Home Teaching. We finished all our appointments by 2:40 so we went to the Mission Home where President had invited us to play a game called Bocce Ball. The basis of the game is that a small white ball is thrown, then each team tries to throw a bigger ball (like a Croquet Ball) and get closest to the white ball. It was fun, but I wasn't so good at it, so I will have to work on my game, President Loves to play it as a Pday Activity so it's played often with him. Afterwards we ate Dominos Pizza and watched a film about John Wooden. Some really inspiring Quotes. President Hicken pointed out how all those who are wise and great teachers in Life usually teach Gospel Principles and they don't even know their doing it. 

I have finally Memorized a poem that we were given a while back and challenged to memorize. It's called The Race by D. H. Groberg. Really powerful message to it. My companion is also trying to memorize it, so we have been trying to help each other so we can rehearse it at Zone Conference. 

Well Life is different as an Assistant, but I am really enjoying it. The Lord is teaching me so much, and I am able to see all that the Lord has taught me throughout my Mission.

Love always,
Elder Rushton Jay Hiltbrand

No comments:

Post a Comment