Sorry for not writing last week, things have been really
busy lately, and last week I just wasn't really in much of the writing mood, but
this week hopefully I'll make up for it so you can know what's been going on the
last two weeks.
So Beginning with Last week,
So last Monday we were moving President Hicken to the new
mission home, the complex was wanting to do renovations on his house, so they
moved him to another place in the compound. So we spent the whole day moving
him, then went out to a nice dinner together.
| Rushton, Elder Wambete, President Hicken, Elder Griffeths, Elder Nyirenda. |
Tuesday was exchanges with the zone leaders in the one and
only Kilungu Hills! It was back to our homeland, we were super excited to be
able to go back there. (Elder Niyrenda and Rushton first met and worked together there.) We left early in the morning and drove up there. It's not
too far from Nairobi, only about 120kms, but it took us about 2 hours to get
there. We first went and visited the Kalongo town and flat, we kinda got lost
driving around and arrived there. It was really cool to see the old flat, and
now a meeting house has been built next to it for the Kalongo Branch. What's
really crazy, is with going back I realized that really not much changed,
everything basically looks the same, the same people in the market, etc. I
guess the only thing that really changed is me, I feel that may be how it will
be when I return home. We were only there for a few minutes then we headed down
to Kyambeke where the Zone Leaders stay to do exchanges. We had a sort of
brunch with them and then did exchanges, I was with Elder Dick, and Elder
Nyirenda went with Elder Dicks companion Elder Mukonda. We visited six Less
Actives, all of which were really great people, each of them were progressing
and was showing a desire to come back, it's just a bit of a process to do so.
One thing I really learned from Elder Dick is that he really has a sincere love
for the people there, he loves them and they love him. He says each of those
they are teaching have come a really long way from the point which I met them
at. It was wonderful to be able to hike the hills again, but wow have I become
much more out of shape since being there. After visiting a few families, we
went to mission prep at their ward building. They have a powerful mission prep
going there, I was really impressed. The branch there is sending out tons of
really powerful missionaries, and now I understand why. We concluded the
evening with a dinner appointment at the Masaku family. It was family home
evening with them. I love being in homes where the Gospel is so ingrained into
their life, there is a totally different spirit felt there, and you can just
see the joy and peace that living the Gospel brings to their life. They fed us
Chapati and beans, and we all shared our testimonies and our favorite
scriptures. The next morning we left early in the morning and headed back to
Nairobi, we were in the office a lot this week, working on transfers, lots to
ponder and pray about.
| Back to Kilungu Hills. |
| Elder Niyenda and Rushton back in Kilungu. |
| Kilungu Hills |
Sunday we had three baptisms, that was really great and a
big boost to the Ward missionary effort, Florence and her daughter Fiona were
baptized, and also Samuel a YSA from South Sudan was baptized. It was a
wonderful service, all three of them have really gone through a lot to get to
where they are now, but each of them were so excited to make these covenants
and begin afresh. Brother Ndetei the husband of Florence baptized Florence and
their daughter. It's interesting how here the Wife rarely desires the Husband to
baptize them, but we really felt it would be best, so we encouraged them to
have it done like that and they did, they were really happy, now their goal is
to go to the temple in a year's time and be sealed together as a family forever.
I had the privilege to baptize Samuel, he has been taught for a long time, and
has really shown a true conversion, many of the young men here are super strong
in their testimony, they are the future leaders of the church here in Africa,
because once they set their mind to do something, they do it.
| The Ndetei Family. |
Now as for this week,
Monday was a day full of interviews, and departures. We had
7 missionaries departing this transfer, so President was doing departure
interviews for them most the afternoon, we then hurried all those departing, to
the mission home and had the departure dinner combined with a testimony
meeting, we lost a lot of great missionaries this transfer, I knew each of them
really well and they were consecrated to the work. It was sad to see them
finishing their missions, considering I met most of them when I first arrived
in Kenya. After the meeting we left the Hickens at 5:30, to take the three
North American Elders to the Airport. We have to leave early because traffic is
so unpredictable in Nairobi, it could be 1 hour of traffic, or it could be 5
hours of traffic, so we got out early, it didn't turn out too bad and we got
them to the airport at 7:30 so they could be there plenty early for their 10:30
flight. We released the Transfer News Monday night, so there began the
craziness.
| Missionaries last visit with Mission President. |
Tuesday we woke up at 2:00am to take Elder Nyirenda to the
airport for his flight, we are making sure to have everyone flying international
to the airport 3 hours early so that they really don't have any chance to miss
their flight. So we dropped him off at 2:30 for his 5:30 flight. It was sad to
see him go, I have served with him more than any other companion. We had many
good times together and I learned a lot from him. The rest of Tuesday was
taking care of incoming missionaries for the transfer. We also took Elder
Maduna to the airport for his flight home, I really enjoyed my service with
Elder Maduna, although it was really short, I feel we became good friends, and
made a lasting friendship. I received my new companion Tuesday. His name is
Elder Kisesi, he is from Uganda and will finish one transfer after me. I feel
we will have a really good time together. He is really humble and desiring to
learn, I will have to train him in everything I know about the office in these
few weeks, so this transfer will go really quick!
Wednesday we completed the moving of missionaries around for
transfers. It's a relief to be done with it all, it was really hectic, the
office elders are a huge help during this time, because each morning we all
start early and have elders going to the bus stations, the airport, and their
areas within Nairobi, so its a lot of driving, but we were able to get it all
done, the only thing that slows us down is traffic, but it wasn't too bad. The
rest of the day we were meeting with President.
Thursday was our office day, we met with President
throughout the course of the day, then I was able to have a personal interview
with President. I love having those interviews, because it allows you to really
learn and listen. Also it gives some time to bring up concerns that may be had
at the time. I consider it a great privilege to serve around him.
Friday we were in our new proselyting area, which is called
Riruta, we are white washing the area (usually 1 missionary is left that knows the area, if both missionaries are transferred and 2 more take over it is called white washing). I'm excited to do so, because I haven't
done so before. We took a while to find the church then met with two
investigators, Laban and Alan, both show very intense interest in the church,
so we will meet with them again Tuesday and begin the lessons with them.
Well this week has been super hectic and pretty exhausting,
but it seems now to have slowed down and will be normal the next week.
Thank you all for you love and support,
Love always,Elder Rushton Jay Hiltbrand
![]() |
| Some service for a member in Ngomongo village. Getting water at the well. |


No comments:
Post a Comment