Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A Jumbled Week in the Mission Field August 27,2013

Hello Everyone!

So this last week started with an adventure on Tuesday. We had begun in Kalongo, then gone to Nunguni (the closest village with an emailing cybercafe) then from there we had to go to Machakos (two hours away) so that Elder Jones could get money out of the ATM because as of today he is gone, no longer in Kilungu Hills, and in just a short few days he will be home in America! (It's really strange watching missionaries finish their missions, makes me feel as though I still have forever.) When we got to Nunguni, we found out his personal debit card had closed due to inactivity, so I figured I could lend him money, but I didn't have my card on me, so we had to race back to Kalongo. We did this by use of a picky picky (motorcycle taxi).   The guy we had take us we are friends with, we call him "Scarface" because he has big scars across his face. Seriously one of the friendliest guys I've met though. On the way to Kalongo, we were stopped by a street policeman.  They wave matatus (vans) and picky picky's (motorcycle taxis) over if they think they can get a bribe from them. We were pulled over, so our driver was holding a 50ksh ($0.60) paper bill on the clutch. The officer told us it is illegal to have three passengers on a picky picky and that it is punishable by law. This is why Scarface had the money on the clutch. Our driver kinda notioned to it, the officer looked at it, then looked at Elder Jones and I, both mzungus and told us to continue on our way, without taking the bribe. He was afraid of us, because i guess the government takes the whites very seriously and if we were to report that officer, which is what he feared, then he would be punished. We got to Kalongo and got what we needed, got right back on the picky picky and started racing back to Nunguni. At the same place as before, we were waved over by an officer. This time a woman. It was funny! Scarface started flirting with her and such,  (still having 50ksh on the clutch). She too was afraid of us and wouldn't take it. We saved him 100ksh, I'd say thats service for ya haha.

Elder Jones and Elder Ati on a Picky Picky taxi.

Our ride to Machakos was fast, we were on a big bus and the bus driver was fast! or what seems fast here! We were cruising down the windy roads at 80 -100kph (50-60mph) The people in the bus were all screaming, it was hilarious! I felt totally safe though, and was cracking up with laughter. I was glad he was going fast, because I can only handle being crammed on the bus for so long. We made it to Junction (where we get a matatu to Machakos) in good time, but when we got to Machakos it was already 1:30pm.  We went to the big shopping place as usual and I helped Elder Jones get that nice pair of Florsheims (my favorite dress shoe) we had found last time. He settled with 1000ksh ($11), which was incredible, because they are still like new. When we finally got to the emailing place it was already 3:00pm. By the time we finished emailing and shopping for food, it was 6:00 meaning our bus back to Nunguni had already left... uh oh. We had to find another way to get back because there were no more direct routes home. We took a Matatu (van) to Junction and at Junction there were tons of people waiting, hoping for a bus to come pick them up, but there was none. By this time it was dark, so we were standing there waiting with all these other people in the dark, trying to figure out a way to get back home. Everyone was jumping into the cabs of big cement 16 wheelers for a pretty penny. We eventually did the same, but jumped into a small toyota tacoma like truck that offered to take us to Salama (the next junction) for 150ksh each (expensive).  We were desperate so we went.  It took about an hour to get to Salama, the guys in the truck were nice, but stayed quiet the whole time. As we rode, Jones Slept, and I knowing he was worried about us getting home said  a small prayer that we would get home safely and in a timely matter. When we arrived in Salama, my prayer was answered. We found a Matatu waiting for us, heading to Nunguni. The last one of the night.

We got to Nunguni around 8:30, and found a picky picky back to Kalongo, it was a nice peaceful ride back, it was a beautiful night, the stars were very visible, and it was quiet and peaceful around us. It was funny though, because our picky picky driver had to manage driving while attempting to look over Jones' new suitcase sitting between his arms. We got home at 9:15.  We were safe and happy to be home. I'd say it was quite the adventure.

The rest of the week wasn't near as adventurous.  We hiked to New Zion to visit a member who is rarely there. The hill is steep steep steep down hill, and she is the only one that lives in that particular valley. It's a beautiful area, but far from everything. The Hike back up was killer.  I could feel my calves being shredded as I hiked. I've got some narly calf muscles from all these hills..

Thursday we had our last ZTM (Zone Training Meeting) with Elder Jones, Elder Kazomba, and Elder Musaruruwa. Our Zone is filled with young missionaries and dying missionaries, the whole mission is getting younger and younger, large groups of missionaries are going home each transfer, and large groups are coming in. 

Friday, we went to proselyte in our Matua area, but it was vacant of people. I don't know where exactly everyone goes, but it seems that whenever we come there, no one is home. We did however visit with a member family, the whole family. It was nice to teach them as a family. Their son said one of the most impressive prayers I've heard from any of the New Kambani people so far. He's only 12. The lesson went well, and we helped them take maize off the cob. ( I do this a lot, and the mamas think its hilarious because I do it like a kamba person... I'm quite skilled at it I guess.)

Saturday we went to teach a member and their family, and we had to wait around for 30 minutes for them to show up, then we taught for about an hour.  Then they seriously served us a feast of food. It was like 3 courses, starting with some passion fruits (another fruit of evil... anything where you eat the seeds does not sit well with the system..) then having cocoa, then Ugali, Avocados, Sakuma wiki (kale leaves) sliced in tomato. I love it when people feed us. I am still adapting to the foods here, and theres some I dont know that I'll ever like.. for example, sakuma wiki...it tastes like fertilizer.  The rest of that day went smoothly, we went and visited the Kivikivi family to see how Brother lenard Kivi Kivi is doing.*

*[I forgot to mention last week that Brother Lenard was involved in a accident while trying to help a Lorrie (Big truck) up a hill. He was hit between a wall and the truck and went unconscious. He is doing much better now.  He was taken home from the Machakos hospital the morning after the accident. He is unable to walk right now, because he was slammed/ squished at the waist/ hips. He can move his legs, but is unable to walk at the current moment. He told us it all happened so fast, and that it is a miracle he is alive. If he had not been able to jump to get most of his body on top of the Lorrie, he would have no doubt been killed.)

Sunday, church was good, we taught a powerful lesson in Elders Quorum about the Word of Wisdom. We teach this lesson regularly, because this is the biggest problem here in the hills. "I can't stand drunkenness. It has absolutely no benefit to the drinker, it just wastes time, money, and makes you stupid." ( what i said to the people in elders quorum.) The word of wisdom is definitely one of those commandments that you see an immediate difference from. If only people had the faith to try living it and see if it makes an impact in their life. Oh and because my stomach has been jacked up for the last few days, I had to use "the hole" for the first time. While in there someone opened the door, he was like "pole pole pole sana" (slow, slow, slow). Haha I was cracking up and could only think that he must be really thinking "Mzungu naked Mzungu Naked!!" haha 

Yesterday it being Jones last day, he was in Kalongo with us.  He and I were a companionship and we had planned to go to Matua as usual and meet his companion and Elder Kazomba there, but they called us and told us that no one was there again. He had to get some stuff fixed, so we went to the Fundi for his shoes and to get his shirt tailored so it would look better when he goes home. I talked with people in the mean time as we did that in the market. Soon everyone in Kalongo will know me...but sadly they say my name is too difficult to say haha.. so maybe they will remember that when trying to think of my name. At night, we slaughtered a chicken in celebration of Jones' going home. That was my first time watching that, and I must say it was interesting. I took a video of it. They say by the time I go home I will have mastered that skill. 

Well that's all for this week. Now that I'm the lone Mzungu in the hills, we will see how it goes. Our companionship is now a threesome because we have taken on Jones' companion. These next few weeks are going to go fast, next week we go to Nairobi for Mission Tour, and then the following week we are visiting members for Kazomba before he goes home.

Love you all, 
Elder Hiltbrand


No comments:

Post a Comment