This week has been another super quick week. It was a lot
like the week before with Zone Conferences and such, so I won't go into much
detail about that. It's hard for me to think of what to write all you, because
the weeks consist of office work and proselyting, and a lot of stuff I can't
write because of confidentiality, compared to being out in the field where all
sorts of crazy things happen everyday. So that's the situation. But I'll give it
my best shot.
So Monday was a busy office day. We had a big list of things
to accomplish before the end of the day, and the end of the day for us when we
are in the office is 4:00 because staying any later means traffic, hours and
hours of traffic. Nairobi turns into an incredibly congested place right when
office hours are over for most businesses. So we try to avoid that. What's funny
about traffic is there are hawkers or people selling small goods and souvenirs
walking up and down the lines of traffic, they seriously carry anything and
everything... Sister Hicken said "you could fill your pantry and buy all
desired souvenirs just sitting in traffic". True fact, you really could. I
personally just like to buy plums, nuts and bananas from them. Usually on our
office days we also meet with President and discuss whatever needs discussed
and plan for upcoming events. It's really a learning experience every time we
meet because he is always teaching us important eternal lessons, for example
one that has been taught frequently is "Follow the Brethren" meaning
to follow the council of our priesthood leaders, and the General Authorities. The Prophets and Apostles will not lead us astray. After returning home, and
planning for tomorrow, I went out driving with Elder Maduna (my companion) and
Elder Christensen who were training me to drive a manual truck, it's definitely
something different, but having grown up around motorcycles, I feel knowing the
workings of a clutch mechanism it helps a lot. It's just a change doing it with
the feet.
Tuesday was our Proselyting day. We first visited Faith, she
is still not progresssing, but I feel we just need to work on our friendship
with her. She will never have the desire to return to church if she doesn't feel
that she has friends there, especially if she doesn't feel that we missionaries
are friendly. So that's the goal for now, become her friend. Our other
appointments didnt show up until 4 so we did a lot of contacting out on the
road in front of the church. I turned a shade darker out there. We contacted a
ton of people, so that was really great. Then Peter showed up and we taught him
about the Restoration. The Chyulu and Kilungu elders had come in the afternoon
for their Zone Conference the next day, and Elder and Sister Shakespeare one of
the couples that serve in the office fed all of us pizza, spaghetti, and
icecream. They love to feed missionaries, so it was great!
Wednesday was the Zone Conference for Chyulu and Kilungu. It
went really well. It's amazing to see how each conference turns out differently,
not in a bad way, but different things are said and the training changes
according to the promptings of the spirit and the needs of the missionaries
present. Like for Chyulu and Kilungu they had many questions that they wanted
answered from things they have seen or been asked in their areas, so we spent
more time on that. It's definitely a bit nerve racking to train at first, but I
feel that I am slowly adapting to it. I really want to improve my teaching
abilities. Immediately after the conference we had to start preparing for the
next days zone conference which would be held in Eldoret. Once one thing is
accomplished there is always a need to prepare for another.
Friday, My Birthday, we got to the office at 10:00 and the
Judds another couple serving in the office had made me a cake! So the whole
office ended up singing for me and we all shared cake. It was a great day! We
ended up being in the office for the day, then that evening we went to the
Baddoos, for a Dinner Appointment (DA) with the office Elders. They are a Ghanian
family, super awesome family, well rooted in the gospel. Their kids know
English and not just as average kids in Kenya, but rather they know fluent
English. I was shocked, it was so strange at first. We ate lasagnia... my first
time on mission! It was so delicious, and they even gave us salad with real
lettuce! Powerful DA!
So there you have it for my week so far, it's been a great week, busy busy busy, but I am loving every minute of it. I'm happy and can feel my testimony growing everyday. I am so thankful to be serving here in Kenya! It's been a wonderful 21 months so far, it will surely be hard to leave in 3 months...
Love Always,
Elder Hiltbrand
No comments:
Post a Comment