Well hello there once again,
So this week it was my first time meeting the Busia elders (elders that serve in the city of Busia), they came down for exchanges this week.
Tuesday was the day of exchanges, I went with Elder Orenge who is a visa waiter for the South Africa Durban mission, from Kenya, serving right now in Busia. He is a really nice guy. He is a bit slower in understanding and such, but this gave me the opportunity to see how the trial that I have been going through has enabled me to have much empathy for him and people like him. I felt so much more patient and understanding of him and the trial that he must live with. I have really learned how the Lord gives us trials to shape us and make us into something so much better than what we were before. My view of trials and tribulations is totally changing now. The day of teaching went well, some of the appointments were a bit different in teaching style, but still good. It seems the people here are a bit more educated than those in my previous areas, and a bit more wealthy too. After our appointments for the day, the couples took us out for dinner again at the nice restaurant in town. It was delicious, really a nice treat. Then we played Monopoly deal for quite some time. I got kinda annoyed because the others were making fun of the way that Elder Orenge was eating at dinner, trying to pull meat off a bone with a fork and knife, but holding the utensils like drum sticks or something. At dinner I was trying to help him as much as I could, because I knew he was having a hard time understanding.
Wednesday was my first DDM here in Kisumu, when it’s only two of us in the area with our other elders 3 hours away, it’s kinda hard having DDM regularly, so we do it when they come for exchanges, or when we go there for exchanges. Elder Orenge was in charge of the training, and I thought that he did a nice job. I don’t know that he was totally sure what to do, but I thought it was nice regardless. I tried to help him a bit and add some content near the end bringing in some things that had come to mind when he was teaching, it helped to add some time to the meeting because as is, it was pretty short. After that we sent them on their way back to Busia, then we went with the Couples on a road trip to a place called Nyabondo where there is a group of the church. It was really a cool experience. When we drove up we walked into the singing of "Zion, Zion, Beautiful Zion." It was really special to be able to see such faithful saints that so eagerly desire the gospel in the region meet together to share testimony with each other. Elder Horner led the meeting and he and Sister Horner bore their testimonies, then I and my companion did the same. Then we took some pictures and went on our way, really a neat time. The mountains of Nyabondo reminded me a lot of Kilungu hills, they were beautiful up there.
Thursday was my first time actually running for exercise on mission, and me being me -- of course I thought to take cayenne pepper prior to running and that was a horrible idea...that made me feel like I was burning on the inside.Iit really hindered my ability to run, but I also noticed how out of shape I am. Crazy to think that I went from being so fit back home, to being not so fit now. But hey I’m much more spiritually fit, so I guess I can still be called Mr. Fitness! On Thursday, we went and did some service at the orphanage. They wanted us to move all these prickly trees and sticks to a big pile and we were first being super careful not to be pricked, but then we switched to turning over a wheel barrow and sliding it in then turning the wheel barrow over and it worked quite nicely. After service, we went and taught Doreen. She is planned to be baptized and her interview has been done, but she doesn’t want to be baptized alone, so we had to postpone her a week when we have another baptism planned. Then we went to Catherine’s and waited for a little bit for brother Wafula. They really enjoy it when we come over and read with them. Each time we give them a reading assignment and then ask them about their favorite verse. It really helps the family. Catherine is Less active and the rest of the family is investigating the church, so we are working on helping them all come together. On the way back from that appointment, my comp and I got in a small argument on the bus. I just chose to keep quiet, I’m not one for much fighting, and I’m not going to start it, whether it be physical or verbal, I’m not going to do it. It chases away the spirit and doesnt make things work well.
Friday we had our weekly planning which was really calm, but then our comp inventory was much more intense. There have been some things to fix, just like in all companionship's, so we have been working on that. That’s where it comes down to we must learn the other person’s story then we can learn to love one another, so that has been the goal, get to understand one another, and then you can work on the problems from there. Because you are able to understand the root of the person not just the leaves. After our comp inventory, we went and had an appointment out in the Jungle. We seriously walked a long ways and were jumping over all sorts of puddles and things to get to the home of our investigator who lives near to a member. It was quite the adventure, but a lot of fun. It felt like we needed some Machetes! Then we came back to the church for an appointment but got bounced, but the couples fed us split pea soup, so that was really awesome! I have never had that on mission until then.
Saturday was a really slow day, we went and visited Brother Cyprian, even though he was crippled, he is so friendly and loving of others, really just an uplifting spirit about him. We taught him with his friend who showed up that was pretty drunk. When it comes to people when they are drunk you must be very straight forward with them so they can understand. We then went and visited a family, Sister Joan and her family, they are less active, but have the dream of going to the temple some day. We taught them about Sabbath Day observance. We tried to keep things light because that’s a pretty hefty topic to discuss with people when they are less active. Then at the church we met with Dunkin and his friend David, both of them investigators. His friend had a lot of questions but we were able to answer each of them. After that appointment we were heading to our last and saw that it was going to rain soon, so we hurried back to the flat and grabbed our rain coats then scurried off to the stage (bus stop). All the matatus were pulled off so we had to walk far to the further stage getting totally drenched in the process. We got there, taught quickly then headed back home because it was late.
Sunday was a good day, church went well, we had a couple more investigators present. It’s always great when investigators are coming to church because it shows that they are progressing, after church we went and gave a blessing to sister Joan because she was in pain and was unable to come to church because of it. '
Well theres the week for you, this next week we have the other elders coming tomorrow for interviews, on Wednesday. I will be interviewed then so I will let you know more next week,
I love you all! Thank you for your continous support and guidance,
Remember this: "We cannot break the ten commandments, we can only break ourselves against them." Cecil B. Demille
Love
Elder Rushton Jay Hiltbrand
Tuesday was the day of exchanges, I went with Elder Orenge who is a visa waiter for the South Africa Durban mission, from Kenya, serving right now in Busia. He is a really nice guy. He is a bit slower in understanding and such, but this gave me the opportunity to see how the trial that I have been going through has enabled me to have much empathy for him and people like him. I felt so much more patient and understanding of him and the trial that he must live with. I have really learned how the Lord gives us trials to shape us and make us into something so much better than what we were before. My view of trials and tribulations is totally changing now. The day of teaching went well, some of the appointments were a bit different in teaching style, but still good. It seems the people here are a bit more educated than those in my previous areas, and a bit more wealthy too. After our appointments for the day, the couples took us out for dinner again at the nice restaurant in town. It was delicious, really a nice treat. Then we played Monopoly deal for quite some time. I got kinda annoyed because the others were making fun of the way that Elder Orenge was eating at dinner, trying to pull meat off a bone with a fork and knife, but holding the utensils like drum sticks or something. At dinner I was trying to help him as much as I could, because I knew he was having a hard time understanding.
Wednesday was my first DDM here in Kisumu, when it’s only two of us in the area with our other elders 3 hours away, it’s kinda hard having DDM regularly, so we do it when they come for exchanges, or when we go there for exchanges. Elder Orenge was in charge of the training, and I thought that he did a nice job. I don’t know that he was totally sure what to do, but I thought it was nice regardless. I tried to help him a bit and add some content near the end bringing in some things that had come to mind when he was teaching, it helped to add some time to the meeting because as is, it was pretty short. After that we sent them on their way back to Busia, then we went with the Couples on a road trip to a place called Nyabondo where there is a group of the church. It was really a cool experience. When we drove up we walked into the singing of "Zion, Zion, Beautiful Zion." It was really special to be able to see such faithful saints that so eagerly desire the gospel in the region meet together to share testimony with each other. Elder Horner led the meeting and he and Sister Horner bore their testimonies, then I and my companion did the same. Then we took some pictures and went on our way, really a neat time. The mountains of Nyabondo reminded me a lot of Kilungu hills, they were beautiful up there.
Thursday was my first time actually running for exercise on mission, and me being me -- of course I thought to take cayenne pepper prior to running and that was a horrible idea...that made me feel like I was burning on the inside.Iit really hindered my ability to run, but I also noticed how out of shape I am. Crazy to think that I went from being so fit back home, to being not so fit now. But hey I’m much more spiritually fit, so I guess I can still be called Mr. Fitness! On Thursday, we went and did some service at the orphanage. They wanted us to move all these prickly trees and sticks to a big pile and we were first being super careful not to be pricked, but then we switched to turning over a wheel barrow and sliding it in then turning the wheel barrow over and it worked quite nicely. After service, we went and taught Doreen. She is planned to be baptized and her interview has been done, but she doesn’t want to be baptized alone, so we had to postpone her a week when we have another baptism planned. Then we went to Catherine’s and waited for a little bit for brother Wafula. They really enjoy it when we come over and read with them. Each time we give them a reading assignment and then ask them about their favorite verse. It really helps the family. Catherine is Less active and the rest of the family is investigating the church, so we are working on helping them all come together. On the way back from that appointment, my comp and I got in a small argument on the bus. I just chose to keep quiet, I’m not one for much fighting, and I’m not going to start it, whether it be physical or verbal, I’m not going to do it. It chases away the spirit and doesnt make things work well.
Friday we had our weekly planning which was really calm, but then our comp inventory was much more intense. There have been some things to fix, just like in all companionship's, so we have been working on that. That’s where it comes down to we must learn the other person’s story then we can learn to love one another, so that has been the goal, get to understand one another, and then you can work on the problems from there. Because you are able to understand the root of the person not just the leaves. After our comp inventory, we went and had an appointment out in the Jungle. We seriously walked a long ways and were jumping over all sorts of puddles and things to get to the home of our investigator who lives near to a member. It was quite the adventure, but a lot of fun. It felt like we needed some Machetes! Then we came back to the church for an appointment but got bounced, but the couples fed us split pea soup, so that was really awesome! I have never had that on mission until then.
Saturday was a really slow day, we went and visited Brother Cyprian, even though he was crippled, he is so friendly and loving of others, really just an uplifting spirit about him. We taught him with his friend who showed up that was pretty drunk. When it comes to people when they are drunk you must be very straight forward with them so they can understand. We then went and visited a family, Sister Joan and her family, they are less active, but have the dream of going to the temple some day. We taught them about Sabbath Day observance. We tried to keep things light because that’s a pretty hefty topic to discuss with people when they are less active. Then at the church we met with Dunkin and his friend David, both of them investigators. His friend had a lot of questions but we were able to answer each of them. After that appointment we were heading to our last and saw that it was going to rain soon, so we hurried back to the flat and grabbed our rain coats then scurried off to the stage (bus stop). All the matatus were pulled off so we had to walk far to the further stage getting totally drenched in the process. We got there, taught quickly then headed back home because it was late.
Sunday was a good day, church went well, we had a couple more investigators present. It’s always great when investigators are coming to church because it shows that they are progressing, after church we went and gave a blessing to sister Joan because she was in pain and was unable to come to church because of it. '
Well theres the week for you, this next week we have the other elders coming tomorrow for interviews, on Wednesday. I will be interviewed then so I will let you know more next week,
I love you all! Thank you for your continous support and guidance,
Remember this: "We cannot break the ten commandments, we can only break ourselves against them." Cecil B. Demille
Love
Elder Rushton Jay Hiltbrand
No comments:
Post a Comment