Wednesday, June 18, 2014

June 17, 2014 Kenya Nairobi Mission Update (Terrorist Attacks))

Subject: Kenya Nairobi Mission Update
Dear Family and friends of Missionaries in the Kenya Nairobi Mission,
I have been working on getting email addresses for all the family of missionaries in our mission. If you get this email and do not have a missionary here in Kenya please let me know and I can remove it from the list. If there are other emails I am missing and you would like to be on the contact group let me know and I can add it to the list.  I now have them all on an email group list so I can send you updates as I feel impressed to do so. 
There are often some pretty scary media events which are reported in the mission that end up making some of you very afraid for your missionary as to their personal safety.
I want you to know I take care of your missionary as if they were my own son or daughter.

There have been terrorist attacks in Kenya, but very few in Tanzania. So if your missionary is serving in Tanzania there is very little concern for personal safety.
In Kenya, there have been many issues in the eastern side of Kenya anywhere near Somalia. We have NO missionaries serving in eastern Kenya at the moment and never had except Mombasa. Currently I have removed all missionaries both young and senior from Mombasa to keep them safe.

There have also been issues in Nairobi, but I have taken measures to ensure missionary safety.
First, they are all in by dark. Curfew is 6PM for all missionaries in Nairobi.
Second, they are to avoid all travel by bus or matatus as they have been an occasional target. In Nairobi, the missionaries either walk, get a ride with senior couples or occasionally use a taxi as they are the safest form of public transportation. No one I know has been the victim of a terrorist target in a taxi.
The rest of the mission, Eldoret, Chyulu, Kilingu Hills, Kisumu, Busia, Naivasha, Arusha, Dar es Salaam and Mwanza have all been free of any terrorist attacks.
So rest easy and do not fear. The Lord will be with us and warn us of the need to make whatever changes we need to keep the missionaries safe.

Just so you know my knowledge of such matters and to put your mind more at ease. Besides 36 years in Law Enforcement, I was also the Chairman for the Joint Terrorism Task Force in Orange County California and well versed on terrorist tactics, strategies and goals. But I also served 10+ years as the S.W.A.T. Commander in California and Utah. I know how to keep from being an easy target for both terrorists and street criminals. I teach my missionaries regularly how to avoid being a victim.

I hope this helps relieve some of the concerns brought on by so  much media attention, (part of all terrorist goals). More importantly, all the expertise in the world cannot compare with the discernment and warnings of the spirit in protecting those who listen to the still small voice. This we listen to and pray for constantly as we do the Lords work in this part of the vineyard.

We love your missionary and will be there for them at all times
Pres. Hicken
Kenya Nairobi Mission  

No comments:

Post a Comment