Thursday, April 17, 2014

April 14, 2014 I think they like me...


Okay so it’s back to a pretty normal week here in Kenya, the last few weeks have been quite a bit busy. Oh and in regards to the title, they're back, the worms have returned... I don't know what it is about my stomach, but they sure seem to like it, they must have told all their friends to go and get Elder Hiltbrand. But it’s all good, they only lasted a day because I got the more expensive de-wormers. For all those who will be travelling or serving here in Africa, make sure to take De-wormers each month. They are recommended to take them every three months, but I would recommend every month, its better safe than sorry.
 
Okay so on Tuesday, we had a normal proselyting day. It feels like it has been a long time since doing so. Since the intense spiritual edification from MLC (Mission Leadership Conference), Elder Nyirenda and I have accepted the challenge to study PMG (Preach My Gospel manual) every day, and finish it within a transfer. We will finish it together as a companionship and also read it for our personal studies and finish it there too. I am loving it, to be honest I have been pretty bad at studying it before now, but now that I am, I really am seeing how much of a blessing it is to have as a missionary. It really lays out everything that needs to be done as missionaries, and how to accomplish missionary work to the best of our abilities. It is perfect for everyone though, not just missionaries. It has so much to learn, and really simplifies the gospel. 

When we got to the church expecting to have our first appointment, we were met by Kamau and Dennis, two potential investigators who just happened to be walking on the road. They are kinda young twenty year olds or so, we showed them around the church, and discussed it for a bit. They assumed it was an Illuminati church and thought it would make them rich, sorry to disappoint them, but we worship Christ. They desired us to buy them lunch, this seems to happen pretty regularly, both people thinking it’s the Illuminati church, and wanting lunch. The spirit helps to discern who is serious and who is just seeking money, but we give everyone the chance to accept the message of the Restoration none the less. We then taught Jones about the commandments, he is scheduled to be baptized next Sunday on Easter. He had a few concerns about baptism, he wasn’t sure as to why he must be baptized again because he has previously been baptized in another church. This is a very common concern, we explained that it is because it must be done by the proper authority, the Priesthood of God which has been restored in these latter days. He really is a solid investigator, he understood perfectly and exclaimed that if that is what needs to happen, then he is willing to do so. Later soon after beginning to teach Benson, Gilbert also showed up. We filled him in up to where we were, then continued with the both of them. Gilbert is so funny, he pretty much teaches himself, we were only there to assist in explanation. He would open the page and exclaim, "okay lets look at the picture, now what is this picture trying to express... okay now whats the topic on this page... okay now lets look to the pamphlet dictionary to get an idea of what it is talking about... okay now lets read through it" it is so funny to teach him, because we hardly have to say anything at all. He will be a very powerful missionary someday.
 
Wednesday was our Zone Training Meeting (ZTM) with the entire zone, to teach about what we had learned at MLC (Mission Leadership Conference) last week and how we can assist in building up the church here in the Eldoret District. Elder Nyirenda and I put a lot of planning into the ZTM this week, and it really paid off. Before heading over to the Sosiani Branch, Elder Turner called saying that his companion, Elder Barasa, was sick and desired a blessing, so we headed over early and gave him a blessing. Elder Turner really didn’t want to be stuck in the flat and miss ZTM, so we called over a branch missionary to be with Elder Barasa until the meeting was over. The meeting was great.  We even had three branch missionaries present from various branches to experience ZTM.  In the announcements section, we discussed the increasing security issues throughout the mission, and the need to be cautious, have a food storage and medical kit up to date. It was really intense, I could feel the spirit adding increased emphasis on what was being said. You could feel the seriousness and urgency of the topic fill the room. We really made a focus with each area as to how we could assist the progression of their investigators in the gospel. After which we gave a training regarding teaching people not lessons. Sister Nachaki said something that I really liked, she said " We are teaching to understand, we are not teaching to finish." How true, the times and methods of missionary work have changed, we no longer teach memorized lessons, but instead we seek to teach through the spirit, to teach that which the investigator needs at that particular time. We also explained the Mission challenge to read Preach my Gospel cover to cover within the next transfer. I really feel that this new challenge can boost the mission forward and align it with the will of God. I am greatly looking forward to it. After ZTM we went to this new hotel (restaurant). It smelled a lot like McDonald’s inside, so that was really a nice smell to smell once more, (it may sound weird, smells similar to those back home are wonderful haha.) That night the couples called us emphasizing the reality of the security issue that we had discussed in the meeting. Three Senior Couples in Nairobi had their apartments broken into and hundreds of thousands of shillings (100,000 shillings = $1150) stolen that night within a 30 minute period. The couples in Nairobi stay in one of the safest compounds in Nairobi, but none the less, they were broken into, and prior to that, one of the contractors for the church was beaten and robbed the previous week. It seems the thieves are targeting the church because they believe they have Pesa (money). But don't worry, we are far across Kenya, away from that..
 
Thursday was a service day and we went back to working in the shamba. I got to wear my awesome gum boots which are both rain boots and shamba boots. We were digging up a members shamba and removing the grass, in preparation for the rain season (Rain season was supposed to begin in February... and it does not look like there is any rain coming soon.) After service we rushed home and changed to go teach, there was no water, and I really didn’t want to take a bucket shower, so I just took a cold shower... dang that was cold, it’s been a long time since doing that, I felt I was just bathing in glacier water haha. We then went and taught David, he is a investigator who really isn’t progressing. I learned an important lesson while teaching him though, he is not very good in English, so when asking him about his children, he said he "had" a child, so at first thought I thought his child had passed away... I later asked him gently if that was the case, and he said sijikufa (she has not died). My companion later told me that was not a nice question to ask.. I only thought that was the case because of the lack of ability to communicate.. I learn something new every day. Later we taught a new investigator named Josephine. She says she must join the church because she feels it is the church for her and her children. Really cool to see how the Lord prepares people to receive the gospel.  We also taught Jones again and Simon our recent convert. Overall, the day went well.
 
Friday marked my official 10 months on mission mark. It’s crazy to think that I have been out so long.. it still feels like yesterday that I got here. Time really does fly when you lose yourself in the work of the Lord. We had planned to go to town to purchase Elder Turner’s Bus ticket Friday, so after companionship study, we were walking to get a Matatu, but a pastor who stays in our compound offered us a ride. On the way to town, he did the typical pastor thing and tried to prove our teachings wrong. When he asked us about what we teach, my companion first asked me for an Articles of Faith card, but Patrick, our new Pastor friend said something that taught me a valuable lesson. "I do not need a book or card. You are missionaries and you should be able to preach and teach what your beliefs are without hesitation or necessity to have a book or card." He hit that one right on the head, that’s for sure. We need to always be ready to defend our faith, to speak the truth, and do what is right. Just like Elder Holland and many other general authorities spoke about during General Conference (Click to view or read Conference talks). We then proceeded to teach him of the restored eternal truths, and bore testimony of what we taught. He wasn’t so accepting. He wanted to hear the number of miracles we had performed, but none the less we know that with time the spirit will work within him. In town, we bought Turner’s ticket, then headed to West Market via BodaBoda (bicycle taxi). We needed to go to West Market, one of the largest second hand markets all over Eldoret area, to pick up a white shirt for Simon, but we were also able to find some other treasures. My companion bought some legit True Religion jeans for 300ksh ($3.45), and I got a really nice Tommy Hilfiger polo shirt for 200ksh ($2.30). Second hand is awesome here, you can literally find anything here.  We then headed back to Langas and were hoping to teach Gilbert at the church, but he didn’t show up, so we went with the Senior couple, who were at the church to teach piano, and dropped off boxes and water filters at our flat. The couples have been wonderful in keeping boxes of pamphlets and water filters for us recently, so we wanted to take them off their hands so it wouldn’t be a burden. We then headed through the slums to get to our Branch President's home. On the way over there, a homeless man totally drunk came up and said "muzungu lete pesa" (give me money). I gave him the two shillings I had in my pocket, but he refused and stopped me and got really close and once again said give me pesa.. The spirit told me to give him the other change I had in my other pocket so I did so. He then was distracted with counting that and we hurried off. When people drink, they really don't think. They will do anything for money, and to avoid problems and muggings, you just do as they ask. We had a nice visit with President Jeremiah. His wife makes some of the best chapatti (tortillas) I have had in Kenya. They were my first dinner appointment here in Langas, and wow it was good food. President Jeremiah is a total stud. He works so hard to build up the branch, and truly magnifies his calling while also working a full time job in town. It’s a privilege to work with him. We took a matatu home from his place because the area he lives in is known for danger at night. If I were an African it would be a little safer, but being a muzungu (white man) in Africa has some attached dangers to it.
 
Saturday was the final goodbyes to Elder Turner. We had planned to meet at the bus stage at 9:30 for his 10:00 bus, but when we arrived, Elder Turner and his companion were nowhere to be found.. When they arrived around 9:50, I joked with him saying I was surprised he was cutting it so close. His bus however didn’t show up for another half hour, so we had nothing to worry about. He joked with me about knowing that all along. We stayed around to see him off.  I have now sent off 5 missionaries, two of which were my companions. After watching him depart, we headed over to a branch activity we had been invited to in Jerusalem branch. There we watched the movie Ephraim's Rescue, which was really amazing! I love the pioneer movies. They are really touching and filled with spiritual insights. We played some outdoor games with the branch, relays, tug-of-war, and other games. I got dominated by a girl in the relay. She is an actual runner plus she is Kenyan, so she is so fast! The food served was typical activity food, it gets kinda tiresome having it two times per week, but hey it's better than bread and soda haha. We will be having Elder Barasa with us the next few days as we await transfer news tonight, he is expecting to be transferred, but anything can happen.
 
At church on Sunday, we had a lot more members present, but fewer investigators due to the schools being on break till May. When schools get out everyone heads to their home countries to spend time there before having to go back to school. We had 5 investigators present at church. In Gospel Principles, I was asked to teach regarding Repentance, so that nice. Sometimes I enjoy teaching at church, but other times when I’m not prepared it makes it more tough. Considering everything is last minute in regards to choosing a teacher here, you never know when its your turn to teach. The lesson went well though, but being short on time we weren’t fully able to get through everything. In Priesthood, Joshua one of our investigators got confused when they called for Joshua to come up to the front to be ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood. We have another Joshua in the branch who is a recent convert, so when his name was called, our investigator jumped up and went to the front. Elder Nyirenda and I looked at one another like oh shoot.. what do we do. The 1st councilor in the Branch Presidency explained to him up front, but when Joshua sat down, I felt prompted to go and sit by him and explain to him, so I did so. I went and sat right next to him and explained the situation so that he would not be confused or embarrassed. I could tell he greatly appreciated that. After church we met with all the investigators scheduled for baptism and President Jeremiah. President explained what would be expected of them once they became members and was able to discuss their questions and concerns. Joshua expressed how he truly loves the gospel, and takes the Book of Mormon to work each day to read. It’s such a privilege to see these investigators progress in the gospel so quickly.
 
Well that’s pretty much all for this week. This week should be a busy one with transfers and everything. I am expecting to stay with Elder Nyirenda here in Langas, and we hope to receive 4 missionaries into the zone, but we shall find out tonight!
 
I leave you with a quote, "Obedience is the price, Faith is the power, Love is the motive, the Spirit is the key, for Christ is the reason." Through your obedience to the commandments of God, you will see the numerous blessings that come from coming closer to Christ. You will feel the light of Christ in your life, and your entire countenance shall change for the better. If you don’t believe me, test it. I invite you to know for yourself.
Love always,
Elder Rushton Jay Hiltbrand
 

No comments:

Post a Comment