Thursday, February 27, 2014

Feb. 24, 2014 Fool me once shame on you, Fool me Twice, shame on me

Well hello there, 
To all those who sent early Birthday Wishes, Thank you so much, I really appreciated them and they brightened my day. 

So now in regards to the title of this email, the reason for it is the theft of another camera, my 2nd one on my mission stolen less than 2 months after getting it. "Though Shalt not Steal." (Exodus 20:15) Also along with the camera, I was also robbed of 1200ksh ($14.00), but because the thief was so kind and thoughtful, he left me 100ksh, enough for my transport (bus ride) home. Gotta love Kenyan thieves. Now sure it sucks and all to get 2 cameras stolen and lose all the pictures for the time I had those cameras, but on the bright side I must be thankful that I have not been hurt in any way. I have not been mugged, or threatened at all, just silently robbed while I was doing service for a family. So yes I guess I am the fool to have carried another camera on me and trusted those we were with not to steal it.

Now on to the week, for whatever reason, this week felt a bit slow, but was eventful towards the end. This next week should fly by however, because being my companions last week in the mission field, we have lots of dinner appointments and such to fill our days. I may gain back the 2Kgs that I have lost, just because of all the food we will eat this week.

Okay, so on Tuesday, our first appointment was at 1:00pm, so we had some time before hand, but because my companion isn’t a fan of contacting or tracting, we kinda waited around and prepared for the day and I got some more study time. When it was time to go, we left and headed to Paninas home, one of our investigators who lives in a more rough part of our area (a step up from slums). As we were walking there, we came across Steve, another one of our investigators playing checkers. We got to talking, and I asked him where he was on Sunday because he hadn’t come to church. He explained that he had been mugged and beaten the previous night while walking to a hotel (restaurant) to get some Ugali (maize porridge) and meat for dinner after FHE at the church. He explained that he had been ganged up on by 4 drunk men and they beat him and took the small amount of pesa (money) he had to get his dinner. He had a big fat lip when we saw him, and blood all over his jacket. They may have dislocated his shoulder, because he could hardly move it up or anything. We offered to help him, but he just assumed it will heal. He’s a really nice guy, 24 years old but really self consious about coming to church. I told him at FHE if he gets baptized soon, before I go home he too can be on a mission. He was really excited about that and said he would think about it. He loves it when we express that we can see his potential and that he has a way to come closer to God, and rise out of poverty through the blessings and obedience to the commandments. Our lesson with Panina went well, we are still teaching very slowly.  It will probably take 12 weeks or so to finish the lessons, but that is totally fine, because we aren’t teaching lessons, we are teaching people. After teaching Panina, we met up with Brother Willberforce at the church and he took us to go visit some less actives over in the Huruma Town part of our area. That area is even more sketchy.  It is very poor there and they say don’t walk there in the dark and on some paths, don't walk after 6:00. Satan works best at night when the attacker can’t be seen. We visited Franco, a really nice guy who was recently injured in an accident involving the theft of his Motorcycle (it as a piki-piki which is a motorcycle taxi). Four guys in suits acted like customers and one wanted a ride, as he was pulling up to the place where the guy said he was to arrive, the other three appeared and started slashing Franco with Pangas (machetes). He blocked one with his arm, but they sliced a huge gash in his hand, broke his leg with it, and tried to kill him by hitting him in the head, but his helmet stopped the blade.  As he was laying there helpless, people gathered acting as though to help him.  He called his mother, then the others asked if there was another number to call taking his phone and acting as though to call using it, but instead just stole his phone.  Karibu (welcome to Kenya!) Kenya after 8:00pm. That was at 8:15 pm in Langas (not my area, a rougher area where the Zone Leaders serve). While there, I was talking with him, but the member we had brought with us got distracted watching some Mexican soap opera about mermaids. Those shows are so popular here.   After Sharing a message about how God must try his people, we were walking home, but another man wanted to see us.  He was also a LA (less active) and his wife desires to be baptized, so we visited with them, had a prayer, and then went on our way because it was close to after 8:00 as we walked back from Huruma, the member insisted we take the short cuts, the short cuts have no light, so they are prime locations for muggings.   Nothing happened though, so that was good.

On Wednesday, we had DDM (District Meeting) as usual, and Elder Turner gave a nice training. Afterwards we went to the usual place for lunch, and then met up with the ZLs to begin exchanges. Elder Vitason, one of the ZLs was to go home yesterday, so he having never been to Huruma wanted to go there before going home on Sunday. That night, I was with Elder Nyirenda. We had a great time, and went and taught 3 lessons, none of the lessons lasting over an hour. That was a nice change.  It is definitely possible to teach short yet powerful lessons that help them learn and everything. That night, Elder Nyirenda and I stayed up late talking till 12:00am, which is pretty much standard for what happens when you are on exchanges. Also I lost my sun glasses on Wednesday after DDM, they were cheap 150ksh ($1.75), yet nice and I really only used them to block dust from my eyes so that I could wear contacts instead of glasses.

Thursday morning, I had one of the best personal studies that I have had in a while. I studied the topics of prayer and fasting and found many wonderful scriptures and quotes regarding them "pray as though everything depended on god, work as though everything depended upon you." I sure love quotes, and yes my wall is covered with sticky notes again. We then went to the Langas chapel where we were all to meet for service. Elder Nyirenda and I sat there chiseling away the tops of new Jembes (hoes) so that the metal part could fit on. One of the missionary couples showed up and came up to us desiring to see our hands and the blisters and callices we had. Luckily I have work gloves, so my hands aren’t trashed. Once everyone arrived, we left for the matatu stage (bus station), got a matatu that said it would take us the whole way, but instead dropped us half way and still charged us 20ksh ($.25). Then we had to find another and this time everyone was charging muzungu prices saying 50ksh or 40ksh ($.50) for a 10ksh ride... we ended up paying 20ksh ($.12), but still its annoying how people think all of light skin have money.  (Rushton only gets 15000 ksh or about $170 a month for all his expenses.)  For service, we were digging a shamba (garden).  We all got to digging and a few of the others came behind picking up the weeds and old maize stalks. As we dug, of course we had a doctrinal conversation. There is one elder, ELder Barasa who is very set on his doctrine, so we all get in these discussions and are spitting out scriptures at one another supporting what we are saying, it's really fun and I feel it tests and builds my gospel knowledge, especially my ability to use memorized scriptures. After digging, we were all gathering together in the home to eat some Githeri (beans and corn dish). While we were there, James, Sister Sarah's son whom we brought with us from Huruma, went out and got our bags and brought them in. No one thought anything of it at first, but after eating, we all went back outside to take a picture with Vitason, but when I looked in my bag my camera was gone, and along with it, 1200ksh ($14).  Only missionaries or those close with missionaries know where our money is, so a matatu thief wouldn’t have known and would have taken the whole white handbook (where I keep my money). We had everyone search themselves, or so we thought. There was also an RM (return missionary) with us who is really good friends with the people who live at the home. So there is no idea of who took it. As we were taking a matatu (van) back to town, one of the Jembes (hoes) my comp and James had brought from Huruma was left in a matatu, so it was forever lost. We then went and taught a lesson to our investigator Anabel.  We reviewed the lessons so that she would be better prepared for her baptismal interview the next day.

Friday was the day of Anabels interview, we were supposed to be at Sosiani at 10:00, but we arrived at 10:40. When we arrived, I totally thought the interview was over and such, and Anabel and Elder Turner the DL (District Leader) made it seem that way, but then they revealed they too had arrived late and hadn’t done the interview yet.  So they got to the interview, and I waited there as my comp and Elder Turner’s comp went back to their flat to get some medicine. I talked to Steve, an RM from Huruma branch who is now working in town, and just happened to be at the church. After the interview which Anabel passed, the other elders came back and we went and got lunch. The Sosiani elders didn’t inform us that they were going to another hotel (restaurant), so we got separated, and we went to our usual hotel. Afterwards, we bought a new Jembe (hoe) for the lady who’s we had lost in the matatu, and returned back to Huruma. We took the Jembe (hoe) to the shosho (grandma) who lives next to Sister Sarah.  We also picked up James to come teaching with us. We had to run by our flat real quick to drop off the food bought in town, and while there, Elder Ndwandwe asked James some questions about my camera the previous day. The little meeting went on for close to an hour, and we weren’t fully certain that it was him. We have to check everyone, because it could be anyone.  That night as expected we got an angry text from Sister Sarah about accusing her son of taking the camera.   Dennis, the RM we had been with at the service project the previous day, sent us a text saying that he could help find my camera, that there is a company in town that specializes in finding.

Saturday was the Langas Chapel Open House. That morning, Dennis texted me telling me to bring my camera charger to give to this company so that they could have a serial number or something to trace it by. (That’s when things started to get fishy, but I didn’t realize it because all I was worried about was getting my camera.)  (Sounds like he now provided the thief with the charger.  Rushton has always been a little gullible.  Too bad the thief couldn't just return the SD card so he had his pictures.) So when we got to Langas at 10:45, we had a short briefing meeting as to who was to do what and such the Open House. Elder Ndwandwe and I were assigned to be ushers and contacters at the gate.  So we went up there and contacted everyone that came by. 95% of those passing by said they would return, but probably 95% of those that said they would return had no intent of doing so. It’s their culture to agree to something and not do it here. After 3 hours, we switched and went down to the chapel. The fact that there were refreshments really attracted a lot of people, but they all swarmed that table instead of the one with church literature. Over all, it was a successful Open house (an event at the church where it is open for tours and such and members are there to help teach as to what we believe and what each room is for). While contacting people at the gate, 3 wazungus (foreigners) came by and I talked to them. It was so weird because for some reason muzungus (white people) just don't talk to muzungus in Kenya. They were from Germany on vacation as college students. Also as we were wrapping things up, a muzungu came and happened to be from California.  His name is John Rounald and is here in Africa often building these cool well driller things. Really nice guy, talked really fast though. I don’t remember us talking that fast back home... cause sometimes it was hard to understand haha. After the Open House, we went to the Langas flat, and Elder Vitason began packing (he had so much stuff!) as he would be leaving the next day. 

Sunday was the Baptism of Anabel. Church was really full because it was to be Elder Ndwandwe's last Sunday here, so people agreed to come because of that. It was nice, and then after church, we had Anabel’s baptism. The service was simple, yet nice. Afterwards we went with Sister Sarah and explained things and apologized to her for interrogating her son. We then hurried to the apartment and grabbed the fruit salad we had made the previous night to take to Anabel’s for a dinner appointment we had planned. Afterwards, we met the Senior couple at Nakumatt (a local market) and joined up with Elder Nyirenda and took him back to Huruma. He will be staying with us this week, until the end of the transfer next Monday.

Well that was the week, full of ups and downs and twists and turns. Sorry I won’t be able to get any pictures home for a while, so hang in there till I figure something out!

I Know that this gospel is true and it is my greatest privilege to be a part of spreading it to every nation, tongue, and people. If you desire to know more, just ask a Mormon, they'll let you know, or those guys in white shirts with black nametags that walk the streets and knock on your doors, they might know a thing or two as well.

Well I love you all,  Elder Rushton Jay Hiltbrand

No comments:

Post a Comment