Hello all!
This week has been busy, but it seriously feels as though it has gone by super slow! We had exchanges this week with the Zone Leaders from Kyambeke. They came to Kalongo because we had people for them to interview this week for baptism, and they don’t have their baptisms scheduled till the 17th of November or so. After DDM (District Development Meeting) on Wednesday, Elder B (from Malawi, didn’t know any English when he first came out) and I went on exchanges in the Kikoko area. When it comes to exchanges, I let my trainee have the Matua area, because it is easier and he knows it better. The Kikoko area has a lot more hills, and the people’s homes are more difficult to find (even I get lost every once in a while.) I planned our day, so that we would march those hills! Elder B told me right off the bat that it can’t get more difficult than Kyambeke which has one big hill, so I set the goal to prove him wrong. We visited everyone. We went up the steepest hills I knew of and some of which I had never taken before. I have adapted nicely to hiking the hills all day, and because I regularly walk fast, when it comes to a steeper hill all I have to do is slightly slow my pace and it is a piece of cake. We visited everyone we could find, but because it was a Wednesday and we usually come on Thursdays, no one was expecting us to be there. Those we did find were predominately the Swahili speaking families, so we set up appointments to see everyone on Saturday. The day went by quick. (The only problem with having exchanges is when the other Elders come, they eat all our food, ha ha, so we make sure not to buy anything the week or day that we are having exchanges.
On Thursday, we had exchanges again, but this time Elder N and I went to Matua. That was rough again, because everyone had been seen the day before, and we were planning on seeing them all again on Friday. So we visited those that were available, Papa John, Big Mike, and Sister Veronica. If we visited everyone, then we would have no one to visit on Friday, because they would refuse to see us. Victor the driver and contracted guy for the mission called us Thursday morning saying he was coming soon, and we had to meet him in Kalongo, so we got home around 5:00pm expecting that he would be there soon like he said. We were surprisingly the last ones there, but Victor was nowhere to be found. At around 8:00pm, he arrived with the water guys to bring us new CLEAN water and church supplies as well as mail. We received Swahili Book of Mormons for proselyting, and the General Conference DVDs which we thought were for us to watch. Also Mail! Whenever it comes to mail, it is always a bit nerve racking. You get your hopes up thinking that maybe this time something will arrive, but then you watch as all the letters are addressed to your companion. It reminds me of the scene from the Best Two Years. Hopefully, that which has been sent will make it. It seems mail going to America from Africa goes much faster than the mail coming from America to Africa.
Friday, we had an activity at the Church building for the Elders Quorum. They had assigned Elder J to teach about the Word of Wisdom, a lesson I have taught them repeatedly about five times. I decided that I would make an attempt at organizing the Library which is a disaster. It consists of paper boxes filled will papers and books that have just been thrown in there and probably haven’t been touched in years! I organized a few boxes, but it will need a lot more than thirty minutes of work to make it look nice. Elder J did a good job teaching the lesson, about half way through, I came in and listened and assisted him where needed. Those present tried to use Bible scriptures to support the use of wine and alcohol. I found scriptures from the Old Testament and New Testament that supported the Word of Wisdom. They just kept trying to find excuses to drink still. The Word of Wisdom has been around since the dawn of time, it is not a new concept. After the activity, because Elder U was not feeling good, he requested that we head straight home. So we got home early, around 2:00pm, giving us a whole day to try and find things to do. I don’t really like all the free time, I get rather bored after a while. Each day the few free hours we have is good, but when its a whole day and not Pday, it makes it tough.
Saturday, we were able to visit a few families and we had some powerful lessons with them. We went to teach the Maks (our golden investigators who need to stop polygamy). Teaching them is hard because they only speak Kiswahili, or Kikamba, but this time was interesting. We arrived and they had a friend present with them. When they saw us, they tried to introduce us to their friend, but she has trouble hearing, and only speaks kikamba. We gave her a pamphlet. The Maks then insisted we have a prayer which was good. We started with a prayer, then Mama and baba Mak totally taught their friend P a lesson about the church. They shared scriptures, bore testimony, and even committed her to come to church. It was awesome! Elder J and I just sat back and shelled the large piles of bean bushes that they had lying there. You know you’re doing something right, when your investigators are teaching your new or potential investigators without your assistance. They are solid! Just gotta fix the polygamy issue though.
On Monday, it was service day and we actually had a productive service day. We carried heavy logs for a member, then placed manure in her shambas (fields). It was a good day. We all got nice and dirty, but she fed us huge plates of rice and stuff after working. She thought we were working too hard and doing too much for her, but I just responded "We are missionaries, we don’t get tired nor do we rest from our labors." I feel when my mindset is like that, it gives me added strength to push forward with the work.
Today is Tuesday, next Monday we receive transfer news about who will be coming to be Elder U’s companion, so that will be interesting. I should be here in Kilungu only for another six weeks or so, when the 12 week training program for my trainee is finished. I don’t find out if I'm staying or not until December 9th, so I'm looking forward to finding out.
Till next week,
Love, Elder Rushton Jay Hiltbrand
Love, Elder Rushton Jay Hiltbrand
No comments:
Post a Comment