On the drive back from Nairobi, Elder Kazomba sat behind me and woke me up every time animals were visible. I'm glad he did that, because I saw probably 10 giraffes about 75 meters away, an Impala, and some Antelope. Back in Kilungu we resettled, cooked food and rested for the night.
On Wednesday, we were back out proselyting. It was a strange feeling, because it felt as though we had been gone for a very long time. You can definitely tell that you have been in Nairobi eating good fattening food when you try to hike the hills. Just a few days makes a huge difference. So it is now Hot Season here in Kenya, and by Hot I mean Hot Kabisa!! Sun screen is an essential because the sun is so close here. People stop working at around 10am in their shambas (farms) because of the heat, then continue at around 4pm. When we arrive home at 6:00pm, we are drained of all energy and either go to bed early, or take a nap then cook dinner. We had our DDM (District Development Meeting) on Wednesday, and it was taught by my companion Elder Kazomba for his final time. It was an inspired lesson about how to resist satan and how satan tries to target us while on a mission. I shared the difference between worldy happiness and eternal happiness. We may seek riches and worldly things in this life, but in the eternal perspective of things, what will really bring us happiness? Before we started DDM, I helped a couple mama's empty 20L jerry cans of water into the big 5000L tank at the church, those things are heavy, and they carry many every day to and fro from the river to their home, or the river to the church.
On Thursday, we had scheduled to meet with the KiviKivi's and eat a Kuku (chicken). We arrived and talked to brother KiviKivi while we could hear Sister Kivikivi slaughtering a chicken in the kitchen. (Kuku's make a ton of noise before they are killed. They seem to know they are going to die and they keep moving after they die.. they can even run around headless.) She brought the headless chicken out to us and Elder Kazomba and I pulled all its feathers off. That was my first time doing that, but you get the hang of it super quickly. We were there with them for a while talking and eating, because Brother KiviKivi really wanted to spend some time with us before Elder Kazomba left. We let Elder Kazomba share all the spiritual thoughts the whole week, because it would be his last times teaching as a missionary. We also visited Sister and Brother Kioko, and Kazomba said his last goodbyes. Sister Rhoda aka mama Rhoda considers all the missionaries as her sons, and she is excited for the new missionary she will be receiving.
On Friday, we started off the day by teaching Naomi at the clinic. She is a solid investigator, and is already reading the Book of Mormon (we hadn't even finished lesson one yet.) The lesson went well. I led the lesson. It was hard for me--not hard to teach, but hard because everytime I would look at my two companions, hoping they would pick up with the next point, they would stay quiet... so I would continue. Eventually I just stopped and let there be a few seconds of awkward silence and finally Elder Nyirenda picked up from where I had left off. After the lesson, I asked Elder Kazomba how it went and he said I talked too much. I felt the same way while teaching her, and I explained how none of them would pick up from where I had left off. He told me that no matter how awkward the silence, I just need to allow it to happen so that someone else can pick up and start teaching. After teaching Naomi, we headed to Matua for the last time. We arrived at one of the members homes, who had promised us a Kuku, but no one was around. Our Kuku appointment got bounced. That was a bummer for Elder Kazomba, but it happens here in the hills and probably in every mission. No one was in Matua, so we just headed to Mitini where we had agreed to meet with the other Elders before walking down to Kyambeke. We had lots of time in Mitini, so we went to go eat at the regular hotel. (We were planning on that kuku appointment so none of us had eaten in the morning.) Then we began our walk down to Kyambeke, ( ~ 7km steep down hill). Luckily after 20 minutes of walking, we were able to stop a lorri (big truck) and hitch a ride. Because of me being a muzungu (white man), they made me sit in the front cab with Elder Nyirenda, while all the others were in the back holding onto the bars above them. Kyambeke is even hotter than Kilungu. It was nice to rest in the Elder's flat, but for some reason, it is super dusty in Kyambeke, so we spent some time cleaning the flat.
Saturday we had baptisms. Elder Kazomba and I didnt have any investigators that we were baptizing, so we were there for the other elders. Luckily we actually had water this time, so they were able to do the baptisms easily. I was asked to conduct the baptismal service, so that was a good learning experience for me. Immediately after the baptisms, Elder Kazomba, Elder Hlatshwayo and I started marching up the hill to Mitini, the other two elders remained behind to wait two hours for a Mkomboze (passenger bus) came. We made it to Mitini in 52 minutes, we were going fast, not just walking, but power walking up that hill. Once you start walking, it's not a good idea to stop or slow down, because it makes you tired. When we arrived, we were drenched in sweat, literally soaked! At the Mitini meeting house, there was a farewell party/ leadership meeting for Elder Kazomba. Once again there was a Chapati factory (Kenyan flat bread), and supu (soup) and rice being cooked. This was fantastic, because we were starving after that hike. They showed the leadership video from 2010 about the new church leadership handbooks. It was a good video, and I learned a lot that I didn't know before. After the video, President Kaseve had me give a short talk about what I had learned and why the handbooks are important. I have gotten used to having to speak on the spot, and have learned to just rely entirely on the spirit, and it will do all the teaching.
Sunday, Elder Kazomba's last day, we went to church as normal and Kazomba gave his departing testimony and farewell. It was powerful and reflected the love we have for the people here despite their struggles and imperfections. He truly said what we feel about the people here. We love the people and want the best for them, and although we may get frustrated with them every once in a while, we still love them. After church, we waited at the church for the Mission President to arrive. He was doing a branch conference in Lima (Kyambeke area) so he was coming to Mitini after. We talked with him for a few minutes, then he interviewed a couple sisters who plan on leaving on missions in December. Afterwards, he came and told us all that he wants a District to be here in the hills within a year, so we will be working hard! kabisa! I am excited for that.
Monday...so today is transfer news day. Elder Kazomba left in the morning which was sad and strange considering I will most likely never see him again. Elder Nyirenda and I were in Matua today. We taught many lessons. It was great because usually there is no one to teach on Mondays. I told everyone that we met with that going forward we will be using Mondays as an alternating service day for Kikoko and Matua, so if there is service they need done, we will devote a max of two hours to working with them doing whatever they need. That way we can serve multiple families. I feel that this is a much more productive way to use Mondays. After proselyting all day, we went home and I washed my sheets as we waited anxiously for the transfer news. At around 9:00pm, Elder Nyirenda received a call from the Mission President and was told that he will be serving as a Zone Leader with the Former AP (Assistant to Mission President) in a threesome with an Elder from Tanzania. Nothing was said about us other elders. I then received a call from the Mission President about 5 minutes later and was told that I am the new District Leader and will be training a new Elder named Elder Janda. I have no clue where he is from or anything, but I should find out more tonight. Elder Hlytshwayo was told that he will be serving in Mwanza in Tanzania. But now we all knew except Elder Z. About 10 minutes later, the APs called and retold us what the President had said, but this time added that I am in a threesome with my trainee and Elder Z. My mind immediately started going crazy... how am I going to manage that when Elder Z has a little difficulty obeying the rules and dislikes Muzungu's (me). My son (trainee) will be so maliable, and I don't want him to learn to do things he shouldn't. I know that the mission President has trusted me with all this for a reason. I do however feel as though I'm entering the "refiners fire". I have no clue what's in store for me later, but I hope for the best. I know I will be relying a ton on divine direction in order to know how to do this.
Well, I receive my new trainee on Thursday, so next week I will tell you more about it all then.
Love you all,
Elder Hiltbrand
No comments:
Post a Comment